Viewer Comments: Peptic Ulcers - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peptic Ulcers:

Peptic Ulcers - Symptoms

The symptoms of peptic ulcers can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Ogee, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

For the past three years I have been having pains in the upper part of my left abdomen because of peptic ulcers. Whenever I feel hungry or whenever I overeat too I feel pain there. And whenever I feel like going to the men's room and I take long, I feel pain too.

Comment from: Nirmala, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

Since last 4 years I have been suffering from intestine problem. By consulting doctor I found that there is a peptic ulcer in my stomach. I can't eat a full plate of food and I am suffering from constipation. This causes burning on my lips and anus area.

Comment from: Mandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I went for a normal leg operation, but the very next day I started getting very severe pain on my stomach. It got worse within seconds, and I was rushed to theater. After they discovered a burst ulcer, I had an emergency operation, and was in the ICU on machines for 9 days. But I still don't know what has caused it or how to make sure that it never happens again. It was a very scary situation to be in. But glad that I made it.

Comment from: Debbie, Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have pain below the sternum above the belly button from peptic ulcers. I have had gastric bypass also.

Comment from: tomdabom007, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been dealing with these ulcer problems for several weeks now, and was just diagnosed by a doctor. Before that I didn't know what the problem was, just that something was very wrong. My symptoms: Any time I ate a meal, I would soon develop an aching feeling in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, and/or a burning, gnawing pain right below my breastbone, frequently followed by vomiting. The pain would last for from 5 to 8 hours. I have experienced kidney stones in the past, and if I rate that pain as a 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no pain) then this pain could get as bad as a 7 or an 8.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My symptoms started with black tarry stools, weakness and light headedness, but no pain. I went to my doctor, who said that I needed to be admitted to a hospital as I had internal bleeding from an ulcer. I was admitted on the same day and stayed there for seven days of treatment. I needed a blood transfusion - 6 units - as by this time I was quite anemic with hemoglobin of 6.5, when the normal reading is 12. I was given omeprazole for the ulcer. The endoscopy showed I had a duodenal ulcer. The ulcer was negative for h. pylori, and was induced by NSAIDs namely Naproxen. This medication was stopped to prevent further damage, and I was advised not to take anti-inflammatory drugs at all. The onset of this illness was very sudden, and required fast medical help, otherwise I could have literally died from it. This was a very scary experience for me.

Must Read Articles Related to Peptic Ulcers

Canker Sores
Canker Sores Canker sores (aphthous stomatitis) are among the most common causes of sores in the mouth. Causes of canker sores include heredity, oral trauma, hormonal change...learn more >>
Gastrointestinal Bleeding (GI)
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or infla...learn more >>
Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori)
Helicobacter Pylori (H. pylori) Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) are bacteria that cause widespread infection. H. pylori may cause symptoms such as inflammation of the stomach and duodenum, ulc...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peptic Ulcers:

Peptic Ulcer - Treatment

What medications or remedies have been effective treatments for your peptic ulcer?

Peptic Ulcers - Experience

Please share your experience with peptic ulcers.