Viewer Comments: Peptic Ulcers - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peptic Ulcers:

Peptic Ulcers - Symptoms

The symptoms of peptic ulcers can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: tomdabom007, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I have been dealing with these ulcer problems for several weeks now, and was just diagnosed by a doctor. Before that I didn't know what the problem was, just that something was very wrong. My symptoms: Any time I ate a meal, I would soon develop an aching feeling in the upper right quadrant of my abdomen, and/or a burning, gnawing pain right below my breastbone, frequently followed by vomiting. The pain would last for from 5 to 8 hours. I have experienced kidney stones in the past, and if I rate that pain as a 10 (on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no pain) then this pain could get as bad as a 7 or an 8.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

My symptoms started with black tarry stools, weakness and light headedness, but no pain. I went to my doctor, who said that I needed to be admitted to a hospital as I had internal bleeding from an ulcer. I was admitted on the same day and stayed there for seven days of treatment. I needed a blood transfusion - 6 units - as by this time I was quite anemic with hemoglobin of 6.5, when the normal reading is 12. I was given omeprazole for the ulcer. The endoscopy showed I had a duodenal ulcer. The ulcer was negative for h. pylori, and was induced by NSAIDs namely Naproxen. This medication was stopped to prevent further damage, and I was advised not to take anti-inflammatory drugs at all. The onset of this illness was very sudden, and required fast medical help, otherwise I could have literally died from it. This was a very scary experience for me.

Related Reading: omeprazole | Naproxen

Must Read Articles Related to Peptic Ulcers

Gastrointestinal Bleeding
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Gastrointestinal bleeding either comes from the upper GI or lower GI tract. Upper GI bleeding can be caused by ulcers, gastritis, varices, cancer, or inflammati...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peptic Ulcers:

Peptic Ulcer - Treatment

What medications or remedies have been effective treatments for your peptic ulcer?