Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: smd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

It's seriously embarrassing. I accidentally jabbed myself with a Q-tip. That's it -- nothing dramatic or fabulous, just plain stupid. When I blow my nose, I can hear/feel air whooshing through my ear! Talk about having a hole in my head. Sheesh.

Comment from: momof2gifted, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

A week ago I dreamed that a bug crawled across my face and into my right ear until I woke with the worst pain I have ever had. It started digging in my ear and it was a load thumping sound with the pain shooting from the top of my head all the way through my shoulders. It would stop for about 4 seconds at a time. My daughter tried to look but when I moved my hand all she could see was blood and a black bulb type bug. This lasted for about 20 minutes of just pure terror until I made it into my kitchen. I just grabbed ice and started rubbing it around my ear. It actually slowed down the digging so I put a full freezer gallon Ziploc of ice and mashed it against the side of my head. We live in a small town and it took about 25 minutes to get to the hospital. They took me straight in but could not see it at first due to the blood. When he pulled it out it was extremely painful as well but it had to get out, it had been moving around until we got there but no digging. The bug was a 1 inch long black water beetle with pinchers, OUCH!! The ER doctor said he had never pulled one of those out of an ear and that the beetle had itself a little party in there. I got drops and pain pills, but it had only just begun. As we did the drops on Sunday I just tilted my head sideways. But on Monday night when my husband put them in they ran straight into my throat. My doctor said not to do anymore due to my appointment being on Wednesday. After her and an ear specialist later, who also had never encountered a beetle, said I have one of the largest holes he had ever seen. Problem is I cannot hear at all, which is expected I suppose, but I also cannot smell out of the right side of my nose. Not sure if they are connected, but will be getting a nerve and hearing test done.

Comment from: lost, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Mine was caused by an infection that wasn't detected soon enough. I keep having problems still. My ENT specialist says that it has healed but every time I go to a GP they tell me that they can see a perforation.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I went to two ENT doctors and both said I had a perforated eardrum. In fact I have two separate perforations! After three rounds of antibiotics and cleaning with what I would call a small vacuum cleaner, pain has increased and there is much pressure more than before.

Comment from: Lynda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My ear problem started in 2009 a few months after giving birth to my twins, it all started with an itch that I could not ignore, I had to clean them. A few days later pus started dripping from my ears, went to see an ENT and it helped until recently. The itch came back, I scratched, pus dripped again but this time around with a rotten smell, and my head keeps on buzzing. I'm always tired.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

The cause of my perforated eardrum is strep throat.

Comment from: pain level !5!, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

Swimmers ear. Although, I am not swimming this time of year but, apparently water is getting in my ears from taking a shower.

Comment from: beth, 19-24 Female Published: March 07

My son had a cold an ear infection and conjunctivitis, and about a week later I caught his cold, my cold went and about a day later I woke up and my ear was throbbing. Now I have constant ringing in my ear and it feels like there is something in there which it isn't. My foods don't taste quite the same.

Comment from: Fazio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My eardrum was perforated when I was hit in the ear with a tennis ball while playing tennis.

Comment from: Feo2y, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I was in a pool with my son and he kneed me accidentally in my ear under water.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?