Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I burst my eardrum over 15 years ago after a steep plane descent into Brisbane on the way to The Great Barrier Reef. The pain both during the flight and after we landed was excruciating. I also lost my hearing and my voice but had no symptoms of a cold prior to the flight. My hearing returned to normal in 2-3 months. I have previously flown within Australia and overseas and experienced only discomfort. Now I have pressure and mild pain travelling up mountains or down steep descents by car. I have not flown since but would dearly love to travel. ENT specialists will give no guarantees that this will not happen again if I fly. I am a female, now aged 55.

Comment from: beautifulsideofcrazy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Just using a simple Q-tip caused my perforated eardrum. I am so dizzy, I am currently unable to get out of bed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

For my perforated eardrum, I had an infection which build up to too much pressure and caused my eardrum to rupture.

Comment from: Mommy to eight, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Ever since I was a baby, I have been subject to ear infections. I outgrew them for awhile, then in high school, they came back. I remember one cold that was so bad, my ears didn't have a chance. Both ear drums burst in my sleep. I had discharge on my pillow in the morning. When I was about 45, it happened again. It was one of those pathetic summer colds that got my ears. This past week, we have had colds in my house. For me, it was sinus pressure, but clear nose; headache and backache; and I was very tired. Pretty pathetic. I was feeling better yesterday morning. Then I felt the fluid in my ear in the morning, so I took some Sudafed. I had pressure in the afternoon, by dinner, my ear was hurting really bad, I knew my ear drum was going to burst again. I took some Ibuprofen for the pain and used a hot rice bag on my ear to help it feel better. I also used some Afrin nasal spray to relieve congestion overnight. Last night, I had the best sleep of all the past week. I woke once in the night and my ear felt fine, then I felt the discharge. When I turned over with my infected ear up, the air was cold on it and it hurt, so I covered it and it felt better. In the morning, there was some bloody discharge and I have cotton in my ear to protect it from germs and cool air that causes pain. This ear infection came up so quickly, I couldn't have seen the doctor and started on antibiotics quick enough to prevent the eardrum rupture. This cold my family got is much stronger than it seems. The cold part isn't so bad, but my husband ended up with severe bronchitis, my two little ones have conjunctivitis and possible ear infections; and I had fluid in my ear that developed into an ear infection and my ear drum burst in one day!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I'm not sure if my ear is perforated or not, I had a cerumen impaction and used Debrox to correct the impaction. A couple days later I woke up in the morning with an excruciating pain in my ear. The pain subsided but now I have an intermittent ringing in my ear. My hearing has somewhat been affected but I'm still able to hear out of it.

Comment from: motherofascreamer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

My ear drum perforated because my three year old daughter let off the highest pitched scream (in excitement), that I have ever heard. She has always been a screamer but the pain was/is so intense I now cannot hear anything. I am currently taking antibiotics because it is seriously infected. I am also worried as my ear is swollen and I am having difficulty talking.

Comment from: geoffrey, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I wiped out surfing and the surfboard blasted my ear directly. It feels like I can't clear the pressure from my ears. One symptom I haven't heard from others it the sensation that air is entering and escaping through the ear.

Comment from: sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My right eardrum ruptured during takeoff during a flight. I had a bad cold to begin with and knew there was fluid buildup in my right ear before flying, but I certainly didn't expect a rupture and was alarmed. The pain was excruciating and blood seeped out of the ear. The descent of the plane hurt also, but less. I have partial hearing loss on the right side. It's been 4 days now on Amoxicillin, no change so far, I hear this does not go away quickly.

Comment from: Yasir, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

I received a slap on my left ear during a small fight that resulted in almost complete hearing loss immediately. With no pain inside the ear, it feels like something is stuffed in my ear which is blocking my hearing. I don't know whether my eardrum got perforated or not but it was interesting to see slaps are listed as one of the causes for perforation. I hope mine gets recovered soon. I am taking antibiotics but no change in almost two days.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?