Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Tkdrewit, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I perforated my eardrum when I dove off high dive into pool, hitting water with side of head. Ouch.

Comment from: Marimeoo, 75 or over Female Published: January 03

I received a blow to my face and have had ringing and roaring in my head for 45 years now. Drs. say there is a hole there, nothing they can repair. I have to have some type of sound at all times, for, if in a silent place, I almost panic. This has been very, very difficult to live with.

Comment from: cheetah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I jumped into the pool and fell on my ear. At first it felt like water stuck behind my ear. Then when I was under water my ear popped and I had intense pain! I put in ear drops and it burnt and it was very painful, the fluid seemed to flow through my ear instead of just staying on top of the eardrum. The doctor gave me antibiotics, pain pills and eardrops. It will take about 3 weeks to heal! I'm just worried about hearing loss since it happened 4 days ago and it still feels blocked!

Comment from: Shirley w, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 19

I had recurring ear infections for two years. A specialist advised ear drops. The discharge and hearing loss got worse and I went to an ear, nose and throat specialist. I was sent for X-rays which showed I had a growth above my ear. The growth was removed and I had I a skin graft done to create a new cover for my eardrum. I was advised that I should have never used ear drops. And, as therapy for osteoporosis, I have been swimming in heated pools for a long time. Come to find out, I was contracting ear infections from the pool. Since then, the infection has returned and my doctor said the eardrums is again perforated, even though I have not been swimming. I have been flying at times, though. Back to the specialist I go…

Comment from: Brian, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

Q-Tip Accident. I walked into a wall while cleaning out my ear and jabbed the Q-Tip in my ear.

Comment from: MusicTeacher, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

A stubborn left middle ear infection, otitis media.

Comment from: angelsaboveus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I ruptured and loss some hearing in my right eardrum a little over a year ago, while tubing on a boat, when I fell off and hit the water at high speed. It's been awhile since I would go tubing again. The same thing happened again this weekend, and I went to the doctor today. I pretty much knew what had happened when I hit the water hard on my right ear. I didn't realize you could do this more than once to the same ear. I often have pain in the right ear with colds, sinus infections, water, cold air, etc. The pain is unbearable when I fly on airplanes. Seriously, it's awful. Think I'll be giving up the water toys for good this time...

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I burst my eardrum over 15 years ago after a steep plane descent into Brisbane on the way to The Great Barrier Reef. The pain both during the flight and after we landed was excruciating. I also lost my hearing and my voice but had no symptoms of a cold prior to the flight. My hearing returned to normal in 2-3 months. I have previously flown within Australia and overseas and experienced only discomfort. Now I have pressure and mild pain travelling up mountains or down steep descents by car. I have not flown since but would dearly love to travel. ENT specialists will give no guarantees that this will not happen again if I fly. I am a female, now aged 55.

Comment from: beautifulsideofcrazy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

Just using a simple Q-tip caused my perforated eardrum. I am so dizzy, I am currently unable to get out of bed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

For my perforated eardrum, I had an infection which build up to too much pressure and caused my eardrum to rupture.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?