Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Misery, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I came down with an earache in December. It was rather sudden. I thought my speaker went on my laptop, and I couldn't hear it. I got an earache in the left ear for a day, then sudden crackling and clear fluid tinged with blood came out; then pus. I went to urgent care the next day and they put me on azithromycin orally. Then the right eardrum perforated. After 4 days on the oral medication, I went to primary care. They did not think it was bacterial infection; rather viral, but put me on steroid/antibiotic drops twice daily. I have almost finished with drops, but cannot hear. It is difficult to drive, and my balance is impaired due to other sensory losses previous to this. I have ENT appointment on January 26. This is awful. I did have earache as a child and a perforation in my 20s but never bilateral!

Comment from: Doc in the Box, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 29

Soccer ball versus external ear, caused perforation of the right eardrum, 1/2 of the lower anterior quadrant. There was no infection when seen, and normal audiogram.

Comment from: Margaret, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I was assaulted by my boyfriend on 29 September 2015 and the ear specialist told me it was perforated. I am meeting her in 20 days for my checkup.

Comment from: Shaun A, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I was drinking a glass of water quickly. My jaw cracked loudly, and ringing began. It didn't stop for a week, so I went to an ENT doctor. She suggested I get a shot in my eardrum to try and solve the ringing. It made the tiny hole from the shot deteriorate the skin, in an almost necrotic fashion. So to recap, I went to ENT to solve a problem, left with 2 problems. Nice. Four years later I am contemplating a mesh procedure as my next step. I was so angry it took me 4 years to even fathom going back. That is the story of my perforated eardrum!

Comment from: frances, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

I have been deaf since I was 12 years old. My first operation didn't work, I am still deaf 35 years later. My nurse at my local doctor's, perforated my ear and I have been left in agony for 4 months. I have got a hearing aid on my bad ear but since the nurse perforated my good ear I am struggling to hear anyone. My good ear once is bad I can't hear anything, no sound whatsoever. I am seeing an ENT specialist next month hear hoping he can help me with my ear.

Comment from: skipray, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 18

A marble size piece of molten metal went in my ear and burned all the way through to my throat a few years ago. I didn't get medical treatment for it until two days ago. I had tympanoplasty done on it. The surgery was two hours long. I am surprised that I'm not in that much pain from it. I didn't need any pain meds today. I did freak out when I woke up after the surgery, though. I was very angry, I'm told. I found out last night that some people do get violent when they wake up after surgery (apparently I'm one of those guys). They didn't warn me that this could happen.

Comment from: Life Long Patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

The cause of my perforated eardrum has been ongoing since the age of 8. As a child I never realized that the pain and throbbing of an infected ear wasn't normal. My parents took me to an ear specialist when I was 12 and the treatments he used were incorrect as we found out years later. Because of continuous infections and mistreatment of the problem the ear drum was completely destroyed, hence hearing loss began. It wasn't until I was 21 that I realized how bad the hearing loss actually was, when at work one day my boss came in and I didn't realize he was speaking to me until I looked up and saw his lips moving. He was standing on the side of my bad ear. I sought out a well known ear specialist who surgically took part of my ear lobe to create a drum. Remember I could hear the nurse's footsteps out in the hallway when I woke up - what a feeling! However, the very first cold I came down with burst the ear drum and created a severe infection. Had tubes in off and on after that to drain fluid build up. The drum never healed and left a small perforation which was repaired. Again, the first cold I got brought unbearable pressure and excruciating pain as the drum broke again. This time it healed with a microscopic hole which I've had for 30 years. Constantly wear cotton to keep air and wind out of it and Vaseline over the cotton when showering. Do not swim. Airplanes are the #1 killer with pain lasting 3-4 days after landing - do not fly. In the last 2 years, however, deafness in that ear is getting worse and hearing aids, if they're an option, are quite costly.

Comment from: War_Eagle, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I was wrestling with my son and he (playfully and unintentionally) slapped my ear. It doesn't hurt, but everything sounds very "tinny", like I'm listening through a pair of old, blown out speakers. I'm going to give it a week or two and if it's not better, go to the doctor.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?