Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Life Long Patient, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

The cause of my perforated eardrum has been ongoing since the age of 8. As a child I never realized that the pain and throbbing of an infected ear wasn't normal. My parents took me to an ear specialist when I was 12 and the treatments he used were incorrect as we found out years later. Because of continuous infections and mistreatment of the problem the ear drum was completely destroyed, hence hearing loss began. It wasn't until I was 21 that I realized how bad the hearing loss actually was, when at work one day my boss came in and I didn't realize he was speaking to me until I looked up and saw his lips moving. He was standing on the side of my bad ear. I sought out a well known ear specialist who surgically took part of my ear lobe to create a drum. Remember I could hear the nurse's footsteps out in the hallway when I woke up - what a feeling! However, the very first cold I came down with burst the ear drum and created a severe infection. Had tubes in off and on after that to drain fluid build up. The drum never healed and left a small perforation which was repaired. Again, the first cold I got brought unbearable pressure and excruciating pain as the drum broke again. This time it healed with a microscopic hole which I've had for 30 years. Constantly wear cotton to keep air and wind out of it and Vaseline over the cotton when showering. Do not swim. Airplanes are the #1 killer with pain lasting 3-4 days after landing - do not fly. In the last 2 years, however, deafness in that ear is getting worse and hearing aids, if they're an option, are quite costly.

Comment from: War_Eagle, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 09

I was wrestling with my son and he (playfully and unintentionally) slapped my ear. It doesn't hurt, but everything sounds very "tinny", like I'm listening through a pair of old, blown out speakers. I'm going to give it a week or two and if it's not better, go to the doctor.

Comment from: smd, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 05

It's seriously embarrassing. I accidentally jabbed myself with a Q-tip. That's it -- nothing dramatic or fabulous, just plain stupid. When I blow my nose, I can hear/feel air whooshing through my ear! Talk about having a hole in my head. Sheesh.

Comment from: momof2gifted, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

A week ago I dreamed that a bug crawled across my face and into my right ear until I woke with the worst pain I have ever had. It started digging in my ear and it was a load thumping sound with the pain shooting from the top of my head all the way through my shoulders. It would stop for about 4 seconds at a time. My daughter tried to look but when I moved my hand all she could see was blood and a black bulb type bug. This lasted for about 20 minutes of just pure terror until I made it into my kitchen. I just grabbed ice and started rubbing it around my ear. It actually slowed down the digging so I put a full freezer gallon Ziploc of ice and mashed it against the side of my head. We live in a small town and it took about 25 minutes to get to the hospital. They took me straight in but could not see it at first due to the blood. When he pulled it out it was extremely painful as well but it had to get out, it had been moving around until we got there but no digging. The bug was a 1 inch long black water beetle with pinchers, OUCH!! The ER doctor said he had never pulled one of those out of an ear and that the beetle had itself a little party in there. I got drops and pain pills, but it had only just begun. As we did the drops on Sunday I just tilted my head sideways. But on Monday night when my husband put them in they ran straight into my throat. My doctor said not to do anymore due to my appointment being on Wednesday. After her and an ear specialist later, who also had never encountered a beetle, said I have one of the largest holes he had ever seen. Problem is I cannot hear at all, which is expected I suppose, but I also cannot smell out of the right side of my nose. Not sure if they are connected, but will be getting a nerve and hearing test done.

Comment from: lost, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

Mine was caused by an infection that wasn't detected soon enough. I keep having problems still. My ENT specialist says that it has healed but every time I go to a GP they tell me that they can see a perforation.

Comment from: marie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I went to two ENT doctors and both said I had a perforated eardrum. In fact I have two separate perforations! After three rounds of antibiotics and cleaning with what I would call a small vacuum cleaner, pain has increased and there is much pressure more than before.

Comment from: Lynda, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

My ear problem started in 2009 a few months after giving birth to my twins, it all started with an itch that I could not ignore, I had to clean them. A few days later pus started dripping from my ears, went to see an ENT and it helped until recently. The itch came back, I scratched, pus dripped again but this time around with a rotten smell, and my head keeps on buzzing. I'm always tired.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?