Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am a 63 years old woman with perforated ear drum as the ENT doctor said. It will start with itching and then pop it will start draining. It will be treated, then in a week or two it will be draining again with pains, and I didn't have ear problem when I was a child. I cannot really say what causes it, but I was one time a secretary answering phone calls.

Comment from: tina, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 25

From the age of three to five years old I suffered constant ears nose and throat infections. I had green and black pus from my ear that smelt terrible. Every morning I'd wake with the pillow stuck to my ear. Then from five to eight years old, I had tonsillitis. I had my tonsils removed at age eight, but by then my eardrum had a huge hole in it I am totally deaf in the ear.

Comment from: Skyken89, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

As a flight attendant I knew ear problems were going to be in my future. When I was a kid I use to get ear infections all the time I also popped my ear drum when I was a kid. About three months ago, my ears wouldn't pop at all when we would be landing. My ears would be crackling and trying to pop but never could. I used hot water and held it to my ear which helped and I was given an allergy shot as well as 2 steroids ended up getting fluid in my ear as well as an ear infection so was put on more antibiotics and pain killers. I decided to get tubes in my ears. When the ENT went in my ear he saw my ear drum was bent which was causing my ears not to pop.

Comment from: varshit, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I dove from five feet end up in a side head dive. After four days, my ear is still discharging.

Comment from: Stupid IEDs, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I was in close proximity to the detonation of military high explosives, resulting in the loss of my eardrums among other much more serious problems like pneumothorax and dozens of pieces of shrapnel. Due to the severity of my other health problems it was about 6 months before I got treatment for my ears, which ended up being tympanoplasty, first on the left ear, then on the right ear six months later. My left ear has held up well, and remains intact to this day. My right ear has since failed and I'm seeking additional treatment to correct the re-rupture.

Comment from: Keshav, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 27

A dive from about 20 feet high into water caused a hole in both ear drums.

Comment from: mdradmsu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

About 10 years ago had a horrible pop and pain, while giving a business presentation. GP said it was the 'worst' ear infection he had seen, sent me to an ENT. He said yes it was a really bad infection and that it was enough to make the eardrum rupture. Well, it has happened again. I am a little more worried this time because of the level of pain and tinnitus (ringing). I've felt quite dizzy and there is significant swelling on the right side of my face.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My eardrum perforated when my GP was pumping water into the ear canal to clean the ear. His pumping was vigorous and quite painful. After consulting with other doctors, I realized that the syringe the GP was using was too large for the job. I now wished I had asked him to stop sooner when I felt the first intense pain. This procedure happened almost four years ago and I am now considering surgery to have an eardrum created in my ear. However I am concerned that I might lose all hearing or that I might get facial paralysis as a result of the operation. I would like to know if there is a procedure whereby the ear does not have to be cut in order for an eardrum to be repaired.

Comment from: Russ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My eardrum ruptured after only six hours of an ear infection. I was using a heating pad and think this might have been a bad idea. Saw doctor next day and am taking antibiotics (amoxicillin).

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?