Viewer Comments: Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your perforated eardrum?

Comment from: Skyken89, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 25

As a flight attendant I knew ear problems were going to be in my future. When I was a kid I use to get ear infections all the time I also popped my ear drum when I was a kid. About three months ago, my ears wouldn't pop at all when we would be landing. My ears would be crackling and trying to pop but never could. I used hot water and held it to my ear which helped and I was given an allergy shot as well as 2 steroids ended up getting fluid in my ear as well as an ear infection so was put on more antibiotics and pain killers. I decided to get tubes in my ears. When the ENT went in my ear he saw my ear drum was bent which was causing my ears not to pop.

Comment from: varshit, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I dove from five feet end up in a side head dive. After four days, my ear is still discharging.

Comment from: Stupid IEDs, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I was in close proximity to the detonation of military high explosives, resulting in the loss of my eardrums among other much more serious problems like pneumothorax and dozens of pieces of shrapnel. Due to the severity of my other health problems it was about 6 months before I got treatment for my ears, which ended up being tympanoplasty, first on the left ear, then on the right ear six months later. My left ear has held up well, and remains intact to this day. My right ear has since failed and I'm seeking additional treatment to correct the re-rupture.

Comment from: Keshav, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 27

A dive from about 20 feet high into water caused a hole in both ear drums.

Comment from: mdradmsu, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

About 10 years ago had a horrible pop and pain, while giving a business presentation. GP said it was the 'worst' ear infection he had seen, sent me to an ENT. He said yes it was a really bad infection and that it was enough to make the eardrum rupture. Well, it has happened again. I am a little more worried this time because of the level of pain and tinnitus (ringing). I've felt quite dizzy and there is significant swelling on the right side of my face.

Comment from: Maggie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

My eardrum perforated when my GP was pumping water into the ear canal to clean the ear. His pumping was vigorous and quite painful. After consulting with other doctors, I realized that the syringe the GP was using was too large for the job. I now wished I had asked him to stop sooner when I felt the first intense pain. This procedure happened almost four years ago and I am now considering surgery to have an eardrum created in my ear. However I am concerned that I might lose all hearing or that I might get facial paralysis as a result of the operation. I would like to know if there is a procedure whereby the ear does not have to be cut in order for an eardrum to be repaired.

Comment from: Russ, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

My eardrum ruptured after only six hours of an ear infection. I was using a heating pad and think this might have been a bad idea. Saw doctor next day and am taking antibiotics (amoxicillin).

Comment from: CA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had frequent earaches when I was a child so my pediatrician suggested tubes. Unfortunately I was a little too old for the procedure and the hole in my left ear never healed. I didn't realize anything was wrong until my early teens when I went scuba diving with some friends for the first and last time. 'Excruciating' doesn't even begin to describe the pain! Three reconstructive surgeries later and it just won't close. What's worse is that each procedure has left some scar tissue so my hearing, which was already not great because of the perforation, is now even worse than if I had just left it alone...

My little brother placed a phone speaker playing music over my ear while trying to sleep in the car. An hour or so later I was fiddling with my ear and felt pain inside my ear that i wasn't familiar with. I went to consult with my GP and he said that my eardrum was torn in two places. Sometimes I feel some wetness oozing out of my ear and when i touch my ear it looks shiny like glycerin or oil. GP prescribed allergy medication because of the shiny substance. He also gave me some antibiotics and painkillers. I'm in constant pain. Hope I've helped somebody.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Perforated Eardrum:

Perforated Eardrum - Experience

Please describe your experience with perforated eardrum.

Perforated Eardrum - Causes

What was the cause of your perforated eardrum?