Viewer Comments: Periodic Limb Movement Disorder - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Periodic Limb Movement Disorder:

Periodic Limb Movement Disorder - Diagnosis

How was your periodic limb movement disorder diagnosed?

Comment from: vandyck7, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 12

I believe my husband has PLMD. It does not affect his sleep at all. He sleeps right through the movement but it keeps me awake. Some nights it will not last all nights and some nights it will. Because it does not affect his sleep at all, is it something he should let his doctor know it is going on, or is it ok to just ignore it.

Comment from: chiari mom, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My 12 year-old daughter has always tried to sleep all day and moves constantly at night. She had a sleep study done a week ago and they said she moves 24 times every hour. It also said she has central sleep apnea.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

My limb disorder was diagnosed during a sleep study because I am sleeping 18 hours per day. I have an average of 66 movements per hour, so I never really fall asleep. I find this pretty confusing and we haven't decided how to move ahead with treatment as yet.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

My PLMD was diagnosed through a sleep study.

Comment from: Lori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

I did a sleep study. The did not suspect PLMD, but sleep apnea due to snoring, and possible airway obstruction or central nervous system disruption. The sleep study result showed I had 11 episodes of leg movements.

Comment from: Helen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

During a sleep study to determine the cause of extreme daytime fatigue and sleepiness, I expected to see sleep apnea, but that was negative, thank goodness. I started Mirapex, which helps the associated Restless Leg Syndrome, but daytime sleepiness continues.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I was diagnosed with PLM about a month ago after a sleep study ordered because I always felt tired no matter how long I slept. I was put on Mirapex and it worked wonders...but I always feel drugged in the morning.

Comment from: Jo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

Comment from: DuPageSwan@aol.com, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

During a sleep study in the winter of 2009.

Comment from: Tocherdevil, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 29

Results of sleep study showed that I had a Periodic Limb Movement Disorder which is causing my insomnia.

Comment from: Marge, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My PLMD was diagnosed thru a sleep study which recorded my leg movements and their association with arousal. I experience low vibrations in my body that wake me up from sleep. My doctor says they are a result of muscular movement during sleep.

Comment from: Dehorn, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

My PLM was diagnosed through a sleep clinic. I have entered my ninth year of treatment and nothing works to slow or stop the jerking. It moved from my legs to my left arm and now through my upper body. It feels like a severe electrical shock that rocks my entire body. Several different medications have been used during this time. I often go 48 hours without sleep. Even when I lean back in a chair to try and sleep, my legs jump in the air. When I stand, the jerking stops immediately.

Comment from: Sleepless, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

Sleep study ordered by ear-nose-throat physician for apnea revealed restless leg syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder.

Must Read Articles Related to Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias) Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Insomnia
Insomnia Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. Insomnia is actually a symptoms of a condition, disease, or situation. Non-medical treatment of in...learn more >>
Sleep Disorders and Aging
Sleep Disorders and Aging Are you one of millions of seniors in the US who think life would be pretty good if you could just get some sleep? Sleep disturbances are very common ...learn more >>