Periodontal (Gum) Disease (cont.)
Periodontal (Gum) Disease Home Remedies
Good oral hygiene prevents periodontal disease.
- Brush the teeth at least twice every day. Brushing removes plaque from the inner, outer, and chewing surfaces of each tooth. A dental hygienist can demonstrate the proper technique.
- Get a new toothbrush every three months or replace the head of electric brushes every
three months or sooner based on wear from the indicator bristles. Some electric tooth brushes have been proven to reduce the risk of periodontal disease.
- Use a toothpaste that contains fluoride and xylitol.
- Floss every day. Flossing removes plaque between the teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach.
- Use a mouthwash that kills bacteria.
- Eat a well-balanced diet; avoid too many sweets and processed carbohydrates.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 8/27/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Periodontal (Gum) Disease
Bad Breath (Halitosis)
Bad breath (halitosis) can be caused by a variety of things including diet, medication, poor oral hygiene, and diseases or conditions such as diabetes, GERD, la...learn more >>
Bacteria from a tooth cavity can cause a dental abscess, or infection of the mouth, jaw, or face. Symptoms include pain, swelling, facial redness, gum inflammat...learn more >>
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums surrounding the teeth. Gingivitis is caused by a bacterial infection of the gums. Symptoms may include pain, redness, ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Periodontal Disease (Gum Disease):