Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: Eva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I started about 4 years ago with my heart pounding and burning through my entire body at night. I have been on beta blockers which help some, however the side effects of dry mouth and unusual dreams keep me up at night. I have been diaganosed with micro vascular disease and still having problems

Comment from: Ricky-Tick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have had "collapsed" arteries for years and had four tries at bypass surgeries. It not only didn't work, but I got leg infections and had to be hospitalized 3 times. The next suggestion was to have veins from my right side and put in place of my left leg femoral artery. I then got a second opinion that said that would only work (if it did at all) for about 5 years. That scared me as I am only 60 years old.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have peripheral vascular disease and scared to death of what the doctors want to do to me. Now, after reading what these people say has happened to them, I'm terrified. I know I am right not to let them start cutting me up and putting stents in me. That seems to be the only answer they know and I was sure I knew where it would lead. Readers, thank you for your comments.

Comment from: metal1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

After having calf and foot pain for 3 months I went to get tested for PAD. I had a blood vessel that was blocked and had surgery. It was behind my knee and so a stent wasn't used. The surgeon just went in the artery in my groin and cleaned the blockage. Now, two weeks later I am taking Plavix and Zocor and still have the claudication in my calf. I thought the surgery would fix it, I am very disappointed.

Comment from: Haller@U, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 01

I first noticed the cramping in my right calf about three years ago and thought it was somehow related to a slight tear in my meniscus. In any event, it was an orthopedic surgeon who ordered an ultrasound and the determination of intermittent claudication was made. I stopped smoking the day after that dx, and for two years thereafter I remained a walking testament to healthy living. However, I fell off the smoking wagon on a trip to Italy, and it was not long thereafter that the symptoms returned with an even greater intensity. My advice, in short: Don't smoke and watch your diet. You can't control all aspects of your health, but this is something entirely within your power to aid by your own efforts.

Comment from: RK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 55 year old female. I started having leg pain, heaviness, and falling in the early 90's when I was about 47-48 yrs old). I assumed the falling was just because I was so clumsy. I went to the doctor many, many times and I was not taken seriously. I told the doctor what was happening...bad pain whenever I was walking on an incline, pain and heaviness after walking to mailbox and back. I show the doctor the toes of my shoes that were all scratched up because of falling and not picking my foot up enough which would cause me to trip and fall. No tests. Then, in 2001 I was told I may need to see a psychiatrist. I started crying and then he told me he would send me to a vascular surgeon for some tests. I had 98% blockage in right leg & 95% blockage in my left leg. I was scheduled for aortobifemoral bypass surgery right away. My advices is to seek 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.. if you are having problems and your doctor does not order tests...

Comment from: Lydia777, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was diagnosed with peripheral vascular disease. I have been having severe pain in my right leg upon waking in the morning. It almost feels like I'm having a stroke in my leg. In the past month, this has happened three times now.

Comment from: dolly, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

Having PVD is really painful and scary. I really feel better about my options after having been on this site and I am doing all the self-care options and I will also be sure to follow doctor's orders.

Comment from: maggiend1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am a 54 year old female with peripheral vascular disease, COPD. I'm a 32-year smoker, trying to quit. I have a history of heart disease and have chronic degenerative disk disease from my neck to my tail bone, along with spina bifida occulta. I have constant aching pain in both my legs, grinding hip pain and I'm dizzy when standing or walking any distance. My doctor has me on Plavix, Crestor, Lisinopril and Trilipix, as well as an aspirin regimen along with several other medications including Metformin for my diabetes. I'm a recovering alcoholic with 3 1/2 years of sobriety and my liver is finally healing. The harder I try to quit smoking the more I want to drink, so I go back to the cigarettes. My doctor has informed me that I have a 100% blockage in my right leg, and approximately 80% in my left. I will probably lose both of my legs if the smoking cessation doesn't work and if the medications fail. I am on Medicaid and they don't cover cessation products so each time I quit, it's cold turkey. I use a wheelchair for outside activities and try to walk as much as I can inside as long as I have things to grab hold of in case I fall. My attitude is fairly good and no history of depression so I'm safe there.

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries)
Hardening of the Arteries Hardening of the arteries (arthrosclerosis) is a disorder that occurs when fat and cholesterol are deposited in the walls of the arteries, and harden into plaqu...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>
High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure High blood pressure (hypertension) may be present in an individual, without any symptoms. Thus, it is called the "silent killer." Secondary causes of high blood...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?