Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: mukilteogal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I started feeling the symptoms of this disease when I was approximately 40 years old. I put off going to the doctor until walking became almost something I could no longer do. 20 years later I have had numerous by-pass grafts and one amputation. My life has been altered and it is something I would not bless on my worst enemy. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do, stop. Make sure you are tested for cholesterol levels, including triglycerides, which is my problem. The minute you feel the symptoms, go to your doctor.

Comment from: Bea, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am a senior citizen and I was told the condition of my right leg and eventually the left was due to old age. My family doctor said he heard a good pulse in my feet and legs. My main problem was discoloration and shininess on the bottom middle of the leg. Eventually it began to itch and I suddenly developed a sore, which my doctor said was an ulcer. He gave me Solodyn (an antibiotic to apply and cover with a bandage. That helped and it healed, but others appeared. My regular doctor had a sonogram done of my veins. A Baker's cysts showed up under my right knee. My doctor felt there was nothing more to do except elevate my legs and wear surgical support hose. I've been wearing strong support hose for 53 years already.

Comment from: Eva, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I started about 4 years ago with my heart pounding and burning through my entire body at night. I have been on beta blockers which help some, however the side effects of dry mouth and unusual dreams keep me up at night. I have been diaganosed with micro vascular disease and still having problems

Comment from: Ricky-Tick, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 19

I have had "collapsed" arteries for years and had four tries at bypass surgeries. It not only didn't work, but I got leg infections and had to be hospitalized 3 times. The next suggestion was to have veins from my right side and put in place of my left leg femoral artery. I then got a second opinion that said that would only work (if it did at all) for about 5 years. That scared me as I am only 60 years old.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I have peripheral vascular disease and scared to death of what the doctors want to do to me. Now, after reading what these people say has happened to them, I'm terrified. I know I am right not to let them start cutting me up and putting stents in me. That seems to be the only answer they know and I was sure I knew where it would lead. Readers, thank you for your comments.

Comment from: metal1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 26

After having calf and foot pain for 3 months I went to get tested for PAD. I had a blood vessel that was blocked and had surgery. It was behind my knee and so a stent wasn't used. The surgeon just went in the artery in my groin and cleaned the blockage. Now, two weeks later I am taking Plavix and Zocor and still have the claudication in my calf. I thought the surgery would fix it, I am very disappointed.

Comment from: Haller@U, 45-54 (Patient) Published: April 01

I first noticed the cramping in my right calf about three years ago and thought it was somehow related to a slight tear in my meniscus. In any event, it was an orthopedic surgeon who ordered an ultrasound and the determination of intermittent claudication was made. I stopped smoking the day after that dx, and for two years thereafter I remained a walking testament to healthy living. However, I fell off the smoking wagon on a trip to Italy, and it was not long thereafter that the symptoms returned with an even greater intensity. My advice, in short: Don't smoke and watch your diet. You can't control all aspects of your health, but this is something entirely within your power to aid by your own efforts.

Comment from: RK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 55 year old female. I started having leg pain, heaviness, and falling in the early 90's when I was about 47-48 yrs old). I assumed the falling was just because I was so clumsy. I went to the doctor many, many times and I was not taken seriously. I told the doctor what was happening...bad pain whenever I was walking on an incline, pain and heaviness after walking to mailbox and back. I show the doctor the toes of my shoes that were all scratched up because of falling and not picking my foot up enough which would cause me to trip and fall. No tests. Then, in 2001 I was told I may need to see a psychiatrist. I started crying and then he told me he would send me to a vascular surgeon for some tests. I had 98% blockage in right leg & 95% blockage in my left leg. I was scheduled for aortobifemoral bypass surgery right away. My advices is to seek 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.. if you are having problems and your doctor does not order tests...

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries)
Hardening of the Arteries Atherosclerosis is the term referring to a hardening of the arteries caused by buildup of fat and cholesterol on the artery walls. The deposits, called plaque, ...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>
High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure High blood pressure (hypertension) may be present in an individual, without any symptoms. Thus, it is called the "silent killer." Secondary causes of high blood...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?