Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: jw, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I have severe pain in both calves and numbness in both feet. At night, I have relief by dangling my legs over the bed. Sometimes, I have to sleep in a reclined position to alleviate the pain. I cannot walk any distance the pain becomes unbearable and I just have to stop and rest. I had testing done and will receive angioplasty in the very near future.

Comment from: blueaussie36, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

My Doctor just put me on cilostazol 50 mg take one pill for two weeks and then take 2 pills. My left leg and foot swell and my feet are numb all the time and they get very cold and it goes up my left leg. He also is having me go for therapy 3 times a week. I don't know what that is for as I have not started yet.

Comment from: incenselady, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I found the information very helpful because it describes what I have had for at least a year but wasn't concerned that it was anything serious. First just the toes on one foot would turn blue and now both are turning blue, off and on during the day. I plan to have a vascular scan. I identified with a majority of the symptoms, now. I'm concerned. I'm 69 and as I look back I can remember at 19 a family Dr. saying I had poor circulation and my veins were close to the surface. That was 50 years ago. One symptom that I identified with is the buttock pain amongst others. I never could figure that one out, it really was puzzling, at times it felt debilitating. I've blamed walking or stress, tightening my butt muscles. I've been a walker most of my life. Very healthy inclined to ignore small things.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 21

My 63-year-old husband who smokes and lives a very sedentary lifestyle had his first onslaught of PVD pain last week. He came in the living room, grabbed his right calf and began writhing and groaning in pain. Doctors discovered not only an occlusive clot, but 3 aneurysms in his right leg. His surgery will be 4 days from now. He's on IV Heparin now and will be on Coumadin the rest of his life. The pain was sudden, acute and very frightening to both of us.

Related Reading: Heparin

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

Atherosclerosis (Hardening of the Arteries)
Hardening of the Arteries Hardening of the arteries (arthrosclerosis) is a disorder that occurs when fat and cholesterol are deposited in the walls of the arteries, and harden into plaqu...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>
High Blood Pressure
High Blood Pressure High blood pressure (hypertension) may be present in an individual, without any symptoms. Thus, it is called the "silent killer." Secondary causes of high blood...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease:

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?