Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: Jerry/929, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I first noticed my problem when I was 64. I was on vacation in Rome, Italy. Maybe the 9 hour flight contributed to bringing my peripheral vascular disease (PVD) to the surface. After walking about a block or two, both my legs hurt so bad I had to stop and rest. After a miserable vacation, I came home. I was seeing doctors for back pain. After useless injections, a physician's assistant suggested a hip x-ray. I did have a bad hip. During testing for the hip replacement, vascular doctor found blockages in both legs above knees. I got a new hip (December 2015). I went back to the vascular doctor. He attempted operation to clean arteries (March 2016) but they were calcified. He also tried to stent but could not inflate the balloon. Total failure. During this operation I developed atrial fibrillation. I went to a heart specialist. Six months later, I had a cardioversion that lasted 6 weeks. Two weeks later (December 2016) I had an ablation. Atrial fibrillation is now gone. Then I was suffering with my leg pain. I purchased a scooter. I could not even go grocery shopping without scooter. I thought some of the pain was from my back. My left foot was gradually losing feeling. I had a compressed nerve operation on left leg just below left side of knee. That opening did not heal, and I also developed another sore on bottom of left foot near little toe. I had a laminectomy (December 2017) L-2-3-4-5-S1. Back to the vascular doctor (January 2017) and went into operating room to bypass leg arteries, put in dye; they found blockages in pelvic area. They took me out and rescheduled for aortobifemoral bypass. Did that in February 2017. Now it is 10 weeks later. It's a miracle. I can walk again with no pain. I had nearly given up to scooter life. I smoked for 53 years. The doctor said if I didn't quit I would be back for more of the same. Last day I smoked was the day before surgery. The doctor prescribed patches while I was in hospital which was day 2, 3, and 4. He offered a prescription for when I was released from hospital. I am never going to smoke as long as I can walk without pain. I had cancer, lymphoma, treated with chemotherapy 7 years ago. I believe it contributed to the PVD. I'm sure the 53 years of smoking was a factor. Whatever the cause, if you can do anything to prevent PVD, please do. Again I say it's a miracle I can walk again.

I started to develop symptoms about 2 years ago. I thought the problem was my worn-out shoes and some weight gain. It got to the point that nothing I tried relieved the pain in both legs. I could no longer walk even a block w/o pain and it was affecting my job. The first vascular surgeon I saw said I was wasting his and my time because I was a smoker. That was a year ago. I am currently going through treatment which has included 10 inches of stenting in my left leg and an upcoming bypass in my right leg. I am only 49 years old and my surgeon says I have vascular disease of an 80 year old. If you smoke, please stop. If you have symptoms of PAD, most likely treatment will not be started until you QUIT SMOKING !!!!!!!! You have a choice here. How does dead tissue and amputation sound to you???

Comment from: ruerue05, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I have had peripheral vascular disease for three years. I have had my arteries in my legs cleared about six times. I have seven stents in my legs, one stent in my left kidney, and one stent in my pelvic area. I take Plavix and warfarin each day. I am researching a new drug called cilostazol that I will discuss with my doctor.

Comment from: bonnie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 01

I was diagnosed with a peripheral vascular problem. Both main arteries running down the inside of my legs are blocked, the right leg has a blockage of 9 inches and the left one is 10 inches. Before this I had a good sex life. But now getting and maintaining a full erection is very difficult.

Comment from: Betty, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have had ankle and leg pain for years with no concrete diagnosis. Recently, I have had a new severe pain, only at night while in bed. It's a pain in the back of my calf that goes up to the back of my thigh. It doesn't subside for at least an hour or two. Sometimes it subsides when I get up and stand for a few minutes. I am concerned that it might be peripheral vascular disease.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I am a 56 year old male who has recently been diagnosed with PVD. Symptoms started about 2 months prior when noticing brief burning shin pain in the right leg as I cut grass. After a brief break and sitting down about 10 minutes the pain would go away. This continued about a month each time I would do physical activity. I attributed this to being out of shape due to limited activity. One morning about 1 month later I noticed one toe on my right foot was a purplish/blue color. Once again I blamed it on something such as maybe striking my toe on something in the middle of the night. Next day again I noticed now several of my toes on the right foot were blue. I then contacted my personal doctor who referred me to be seen by a vascular Dr. Upon seeing this vascular Dr. he scheduled me for surgery the very next day in an effort to place a stent into the right calf where he had determined the blockage was. After undergoing this I was advised by the Dr. the blockage was too severe to clear or stent so I was once again scheduled for surgery the following week where bypass surgery was conducted to my right leg. It has been about 6 weeks now and so far I have maintained 100% circulation once again in this leg. I was however informed that my 40 plus years of smoking was one of the major factors leading to this disease as I am not overweight nor do I have high blood pressure or extremely high cholesterol. I was further told by my Dr that if I smoked another cigarette this bi-pass that was conducted would likely clog very quickly once again. My advice to all is to quit smoking immediately and if you have never smoked please don't start in hopes you will not have to go through what I just had done.

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

DVT (Blood Clot in the Leg, Deep Vein Thrombosis)
Blood Clot in the Legs

Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments

What treatments (medication, lifestyle changes, etc.) have been effective in managing and treating your PVD?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral vascular disease?