Viewer Comments: Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Cause

What was the cause of your peripheral vascular disease?

Comment from: 38sadness, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I am a healthy 38 year old female. I was diagnosed with PVD (peripheral vascular disease) one year ago in November 2015. The only reason they could figure was from me smoking for over 20 years. In this last year I had 5 stents and an arterial bypass all to no avail. On October 26th 2015 I had to have my leg amputated below the knee. Now it is a struggle just to get up in the morning. However I keep moving.

Comment from: kermit, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 03

My peripheral vascular disease started with cramps in my left leg that lasted for minutes, then hours and now days. I have big bloody blister; very bad trouble. I am seeing a vascular surgeon this week.

Comment from: mak, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I have severe leg pain when walking an elevated path. It starts from the hip and goes all the way to the foot. Sometimes, the legs give up and feel heavy and without sensation. The pain goes away upon rest.

Comment from: retired prof., 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 31

In the last five months, I developed blisters on one leg, along with edema of the calf. My vascular specialist(s) have insisted on heavy-duty support hose, with my coumadin. There is little pain, but some discomfort.

Comment from: tooyoung, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I found out I had PVD in 2009. I was 37, it started as a rash on my lower right leg. It then turned into an ulcer. I thought maybe it was caused from a spider bite or something of that nature. I was treating it with an antibiotic cream but, to no avail I had to visit my doctor. She tested it and sent me to a vascular surgeon. He made the diagnosis - PVD. I had heard about it but, thought it was a disease for older folks. I mean I'm 37. But, then I thought obesity does play a part. He suggested an Unna Boot, so I did that for eight months. I've had a blot clot to form in both lungs, after that a bad infection which only responded to IV antibiotics. Needless to say this has disrupted my life in such ways I can't begin to explain. I'm just glad I'm still here to tell the story. I still see my physician twice a month every month. It has not gone away but, it's a lot better and a lot less pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Peripheral Vascular Disease

DVT (Blood Clot in the Leg, Deep Vein Thrombosis)
Blood Clot in the Legs

Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>

Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Diabetes: Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Times
Caring for Your Diabetes at Special Time Be prepared to manage your diabetes, and control blood sugar and symptoms when you're sick, when you're at work or school, when traveling, during pregnancy, or ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD):

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Treatments

What treatments (medication, lifestyle changes, etc.) have been effective in managing and treating your PVD?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your peripheral vascular disease?

Peripheral Vascular Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with peripheral vascular disease.