Pernicious Anemia (Vitamin B-12 Deficiency) (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Pernicious anemia develops as a result of an autoimmune process in the body and cannot be prevented. The effects of pernicious anemia can be prevented by replacing the B-12 in the body.
Other causes of vitamin B-12 deficiency, such as other gastrointestinal diseases and gastrointestinal surgery, are preventable only to the extent that these causes themselves are preventable. Vitamin B-12 deficiency in vegetarians can be prevented by the use of vitamin B-12 supplements. An oral dose of 100-200 micrograms (mcg) taken weekly should be sufficient.
Must Read Articles Related to Pernicious Anemia (Vitamin B-12 Deficiency)
- How Is Atrial Fibrillation Affecting You?
- Will Health Reform Affect You?
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?