- The best way to prevent phlebitis is to be active. Participate in daily
exercise such as walking, swimming, jogging, cycling, dance classes, etc.
- Avoid prolonged periods of sitting or lying down (if possible).
- Avoid bed rest for prolonged periods. If you are limited to bed rest,
wear supportive stockings.
- When traveling and movement is limited for long periods of time, get up
and move around occasionally or stop at a rest stop and move around. Keep
hydrated and drink plenty of fluids.
- Changing of IV lines will help prevent phlebitis.
Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis
Blood Clot in the Legs
Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis: