Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?

Comment from: 2UWrangler, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

Well my first case of phlebitis was when I was in the Marine Corps back in 1965 at Camp Pendleton in California. My lower left leg was swollen to nearly twice its normal size. I'm curious as to what may have caused it, as my life-style back then as a 17 yr old infantry recruit was hardly sedentary. Also other than donating blood on two occasions during that time period, I didn't have any intravenous catheters inserted.

Comment from: Eeyedoesit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I traveled 22 hours in a plane and when I got home my leg was three times its normal size. I then developed phlebitis. I used a hot towel wrapped around my leg with a heating pad and Ibuprofen. I also took an aspirin at night to thin the blood and after a few weeks it will be gone

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?