Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?

Comment from: Megan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

For my phlebitis symptoms, I get pain in my calf after standing for long periods of time or sitting too much.

Comment from: Healed, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

I went to ER with left calf throbbing and pain. It was worse with walking. I was given a prescription for Motrin and an ultrasound done and it said I had phlebitis. I was told by ER doctor to keep my left calf elevated above my heart and apply warm compresses. Seven days later I am finally feeling better walking better. Only when I first wake up is when it feels especially worst then it okay after that. I have support hose and an RN said I should get and they do help because I walk all day. Today I am 80% better on my way to 100% healed.

Comment from: alison, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I developed phlebitis five days after giving birth to my last baby. It was on my left leg on the inner side of my knee. It was very swollen and painful and bending my knee was difficult, and sleeping was nearly impossible. I could not lie in a comfortable position. My GP gave me antibiotics and reassured me that it was a not a deep vein thrombosis kind of thing. It took a couple of weeks to clear up, but I'm much better now.

Comment from: MaMoJo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

Five days after having an IV for a spinal steroid injection, I for an elongated, red and swollen area on the inside of my left knee. It was about three inches long and one inch thick. It was hard and painful, even to a light touch. It also started to bruise the surrounding area and the redness increased and did not subside for the next 24 hours. It felt better to walk than to sit or lie down. I tried to use some ice with no relief other than a little bit of initial numbing. Heat made it feel better and lightly wrapping the area also felt a little better. I ended up going to the ER “ they told me it was phlebitis. They did a sonogram, and prescribed antibiotics and warm compresses and they gently wrapped the area. They told me to follow up with my primary doctor the following day.

Comment from: thanks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

The article was very helpful and matched what my doctor had told me. After surgery removing lymph nodes under my arm, a vein from under my arm to my breast inflamed. It was hard and popping through the skin. Warm compresses reduced the swelling within a couple of days, so that it could not be seen so much. It however remains somewhat painful and hard, but much better than before. Aspirin was recommended but I will now also try Ibuprofen based on the article. While common in the leg, I am including this comment because superficial phlebitis can occur elsewhere in the body. As was the experience for others, I hope the pain does go away in a week or so. Thanks for the information.

Comment from: Magsyg, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I fell against my toughened glass table 5 weeks ago and bruised my left leg in between my knee and ankle it took 2 weeks for the bruising to come out and that spread from my ankle to my knee with a very red and hot area where I hit it, I went to the doctor because the swelling and redness would not go down, he said I had an infection, which I doubted as there was no broken skin, anyway took antibiotics for a week and although redness faded the lump is still there and it aches when I walk any distance. I returned to the doctor yesterday and now he says it is phlebitis, but it is not really painful and not really hot any more just feels a bit numb and my ankle swells. He has given me cream to massage into it so hopefully this will help. I have osteoarthritis in both my knees, hands, shoulders and back so really don't need any more problems.

Comment from: hurt sobad1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

My phlebitis symptoms are like a burning sensation. I also have skin discoloration and a sharp pain in my leg with some swelling. As soon as I put my feet down, I get heaviness in my leg. I also have a hardening on my skin, which is warm to the touch and it's irritated by anything that touches it, such as bed coverings or pants.

Comment from: Sherrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

Hi, I'm actually an RN. I had a broken tibia and fibula on the left lower leg five years ago. I got over this with pins, plates and a lot of hardware holding these bones together. About two months ago after standing on my feet all day I noticed at night my left leg throbbed so much. I went to my orthopedic doctor because the pain was right over the plate in my leg. There was no redness, just severe tenderness in one site, and it hurt to weight bear on left leg. I was told I had tendinitis and was ordered physical therapy. The next day my leg was red and more swollen. My doctor was not available, so we went to the ER. I told them to check for a blood clot. An ultrasound showed no DVTs. I was told that I had phlebitis. I was given medications and put on bed rest with moist heat. My orthopedist hasn't seen but ordered a bone scan before I go back to work. The area did become more swollen after the ER visit but the redness went away. This is day eight and feeling much better. I actually did housework today!

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?