Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?

Comment from: Derek, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

It started on a Friday evening with a row of four lumps to one side of my right shin. It started to get tender and saw the doctor on Monday morning. She diagnosed phlebitis and prescribed antibiotics.

Comment from: Edwin, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 26

It began with pain in my right foot, upon walking or standing.Then I area around my inner ankle became red and painful.The redness spread across the top of the foot. It was very tender to touch, and the whole area was painful. When resting, with foot elevated, there was no pain at all. I felt a bit cold and shivery. It remained very painful to put any pressure or weight on the foot, because of the pain.

Comment from: margrett, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I am a very active 70 years old and I have had two knee replacements. Over the past two weeks I have been painting the inside of the house. Now I am getting it in the night when I sleep. I had it when I had my last child over 37 years ago and they bound my leg up. I could not walk at all.

Comment from: David, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I had a blood clot in my left leg last year, although I ride a bike one hour a day and walk five to 10 miles a week. I have got phlebitis. My leg is swollen and itches and is painful when I get up from sitting down. It really improves when I ride my bike, and although the treatment of ibuprofen and a compression stocking helps, it always seems to come back even though I lead an active lifestyle. I gave up smoking six years ago and exercise regularly.

Comment from: Megan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 14

For my phlebitis symptoms, I get pain in my calf after standing for long periods of time or sitting too much.

Comment from: Healed, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 01

I went to ER with left calf throbbing and pain. It was worse with walking. I was given a prescription for Motrin and an ultrasound done and it said I had phlebitis. I was told by ER doctor to keep my left calf elevated above my heart and apply warm compresses. Seven days later I am finally feeling better walking better. Only when I first wake up is when it feels especially worst then it okay after that. I have support hose and an RN said I should get and they do help because I walk all day. Today I am 80% better on my way to 100% healed.

Comment from: alison, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I developed phlebitis five days after giving birth to my last baby. It was on my left leg on the inner side of my knee. It was very swollen and painful and bending my knee was difficult, and sleeping was nearly impossible. I could not lie in a comfortable position. My GP gave me antibiotics and reassured me that it was a not a deep vein thrombosis kind of thing. It took a couple of weeks to clear up, but I'm much better now.

Comment from: MaMoJo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

Five days after having an IV for a spinal steroid injection, I for an elongated, red and swollen area on the inside of my left knee. It was about three inches long and one inch thick. It was hard and painful, even to a light touch. It also started to bruise the surrounding area and the redness increased and did not subside for the next 24 hours. It felt better to walk than to sit or lie down. I tried to use some ice with no relief other than a little bit of initial numbing. Heat made it feel better and lightly wrapping the area also felt a little better. I ended up going to the ER “ they told me it was phlebitis. They did a sonogram, and prescribed antibiotics and warm compresses and they gently wrapped the area. They told me to follow up with my primary doctor the following day.

Comment from: thanks, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

The article was very helpful and matched what my doctor had told me. After surgery removing lymph nodes under my arm, a vein from under my arm to my breast inflamed. It was hard and popping through the skin. Warm compresses reduced the swelling within a couple of days, so that it could not be seen so much. It however remains somewhat painful and hard, but much better than before. Aspirin was recommended but I will now also try Ibuprofen based on the article. While common in the leg, I am including this comment because superficial phlebitis can occur elsewhere in the body. As was the experience for others, I hope the pain does go away in a week or so. Thanks for the information.

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?