Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?

Comment from: Sixtythree, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I have phlebitis and my symptoms include a pinching in the legs with little red dots that are kind of tender. My ankles are swollen and tender to the touch.

Comment from: mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have phlebitis. I'm usually tired with aching legs and a blotchy, kind of redness of my skin. I feel like my legs are dragging sometimes, and it is painful to walk sometimes.

Comment from: eli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am a normal healthy person at 63 years of age. My doctor said I had phlebitis after I had vein injected in my right leg below knee. Wish I had not. Since then I get occasional swelling behind my knee that is very painful. The swelling is the size of a medium sized egg. My leg throbs and the pain is scary. It spreads up my leg and my leg can feel dead. I'm always worried about D.V.T.

Comment from: TRISH, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My phlebitis started after a course of aggressive chemotherapy for lung cancer and has persisted. I was initially on an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory it has become worse with time, especially in my left arm. I have been told it is a common side effect of chemo and should go eventually - all I can say is I find it quite debilitating and it restricts me from doing things.

Comment from: tfabian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 28

I have phlebitis and I have pains and tenderness at the lower left side of my ribcage. It's a lot like a burning sensation. I'm feeling a lot like I have a fractured rib. I am now noticing a large, rigid vein and I can feel it from my left breast to the groin area. The vein feels hard and itches.

Published: June 21

I have had saline implant surgery on June 3rd and after feeling fairly well 3 weeks into this I noticed two vein looking lines under each boob and it became very sore. I went to doctor today and he said I have phlebitis. Not quite sure how serious this is.

Comment from: Denise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I have Phlebitis. It started as redness in both of my lower ankles. It was a dark red color like sunburn. It itched just a little bit, but it burned like fire and ached. My skin is drawn and tight. It has been moving up my legs, but the doctor assures me that with antibiotics and compression socks it will heal.

Comment from: ali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had phlebitis and found it to be very painful. It started as a slight pain in the top of my leg which turned bright red and started spreading. It was treated with antibiotics due to infection and lasted about three weeks.

Comment from: Charlotte, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have pain in my ankle and leg area. There is swelling in both my foot and leg. I can feel a hard lump above the ankle area. The whole area is extremely sensitive to touch. I am being treated for this condition with the use of a fairly tightly wound elastic bandaging. I like to exercise and wonder how this condition will restrict my exercise program.

Comment from: nielsbrix, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I recently had surgery for a double hernia. A day or two after the canula was removed from my arm, phlebitis occurred. I am now being treated with cephalexin by my GP. Is this a common occurrence or was I just unlucky.

Comment from: Kitza113, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My symptoms were swelling of the left foot, with burning and pain in my ankle and calf area. I had a lot of redness and the area was hot to the touch. It even hurt to touch my leg at all and the skin was dry and looked like it had been stretched.

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?