Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?

Comment from: ali, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I had phlebitis and found it to be very painful. It started as a slight pain in the top of my leg which turned bright red and started spreading. It was treated with antibiotics due to infection and lasted about three weeks.

Comment from: Charlotte, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 22

I have pain in my ankle and leg area. There is swelling in both my foot and leg. I can feel a hard lump above the ankle area. The whole area is extremely sensitive to touch. I am being treated for this condition with the use of a fairly tightly wound elastic bandaging. I like to exercise and wonder how this condition will restrict my exercise program.

Comment from: nielsbrix, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: December 21

I recently had surgery for a double hernia. A day or two after the canula was removed from my arm, phlebitis occurred. I am now being treated with cephalexin by my GP. Is this a common occurrence or was I just unlucky.

Comment from: Kitza113, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

My symptoms were swelling of the left foot, with burning and pain in my ankle and calf area. I had a lot of redness and the area was hot to the touch. It even hurt to touch my leg at all and the skin was dry and looked like it had been stretched.

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. The clot typically comes from other areas of the body and travels to the lung, where it becomes lodged. P...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?