Viewer Comments: Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Effective Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your phlebitis?

Comment from: oma, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

It's been 3 months and I still am having problems with my right arm. I had a wrist angiogram and an IV in that same arm. After I was released, I was back in emergency being tested for a blood clot, following my angiogram. I was told that I had no blood clot but that I had phlebitis. I was told to go home and run hot water all over my arm. The swelling was greatly reduced. The problem I am having now is grasping things and mostly strength issues due to the pain. The pain seems to worsen in the evening and while I am sleeping the pain wakes me.

Comment from: Walker, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I have just started using Advil, cold packs, leg elevation and continued exercise. I will be rechecked in two weeks and am looking forward to a good scan then.

Comment from: curious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I had to walk a lot at my job. I began having a burning stabbing pain deep in the back calf of my leg. The doctor was worried it may be deep vein thrombosis but after testing it wasn't. Turned out to be my shoes! I was wearing leather boots with low heels. They became tighter during the day when my feet swelled, especially across the top of my foot. I have varicose veins. I quit wearing them and the pain disappeared!

Comment from: Cedric, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I had an injury last Monday. My phlebitis was caused by leg trauma from an ice skate slamming into the back of my leg. It got progressively worse, and our doctor sent us to the hospital. So far, I have been taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen. My calf has hurt more today, but the doctor said it will hopefully get better soon if I rest it more and keep taking the meds.

Comment from: Health Conscious, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 15

I was told by my doctor that I have phlebitis of the left ankle area (slightly above). I was told to use Aleve. In addition, use a heating pad with moist wash cloth for maximum benefit. Warm baths as hot as you can take it will help the inflamed vein to be soothed and condition will improve over the course of weeks.

Comment from: malibu4sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had an upper endoscopy and was given an IV in the right hand. The nurse had trouble getting the needle in and finally went to another vein in the side of my hand. Three weeks later I awoke with swelling and severe pain in the right hand at the injection site. It was diagnosed as phlebitis and was treated with an anti-inflammatory injection in the arm, antibiotics and warm compresses.

Comment from: rich d, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 19

I broke my right ankle in 2008, two screws were put in to hold it together, everything was fine for about two years then my leg started swelling up and the calf muscle began hurting and I didn't like going up or down steps. An ultrasound was done and I was told I had Phlebitis and I should wear support stockings. Pills were given me to help remove the water from my leg, now my left leg has swollen up. I gave up, and went to a heart doctor. He checked all my veins and said my leg was 90% blocked and so was my heart. I had a stent put in my heart and one in my right leg.

Comment from: Tygurrzi, 45-54 Female Published: October 21

A couple of months ago, the phone rang very late at night my time. I guess it was mother's six-sense, so I ran to the phone. My poor dog blends into the carpet so well at night I took a good tumble over my old dog. I hurt my left arm and right knee well, They just have not gotten any better I made appointment with my Dr. And he said Phlebitis gave me some cream told me moist heat at least 3 times a day and to call him immediately if there were any changes. This morning I got up and could not walk my right leg was swollen. He me straight for a ultra sound and I have DVT. I will find out my treatment tomorrow.

Must Read Articles Related to Phlebitis

Deep Vein Thrombosis (Blood Clot in the Leg, DVT)
Blood Clot in the Legs Deep vein thrombosis (blood clot in the leg, DVT) is a blood clot imbedded in one of the major veins of the lower body, including the legs, thighs, or pelvis. C...learn more >>
Blood Clots
Blood Clots Blood is supposed to clot to help repair a blood vessel that is injured. Clots or thrombi become a problem when they form inappropriately. There are a variety o...learn more >>
Pulmonary Embolism
Pulmonary Embolism A pulmonary embolism (PE) is a blood clot in the lung. It usually comes from smaller vessels in the leg, pelvis, arms, or heart. When a clot forms in the ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Phlebitis:

Phlebitis - Causes

What caused your phlebitis?

Phlebitis - Symptoms

What were your phlebitis symptoms?