Physical Therapy for Plantar Fasciitis
Physical therapy can teach you the proper stretching and strengthening exercises and can provide the support and motivation you need to complete your treatment for plantar fasciitis.
Many therapists evaluate leg and foot alignment to find out whether problems in position caused the heel pain in the first place. They then treat the alignment problem either with specific muscle strengthening or by measuring for (and, in some cases, constructing) heel lifts or other inserts (orthotics) to wear inside the shoes.
A physical therapist can also help you plan your gradual return to activity as symptoms go away.
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
- Shoes and Diabetes: Choosing the Right Pair
- 9 Questions to Ask Before Having Surgery
- Are We Close to a Cure for Cancer?
- Early Care for Your Premature Baby
- What to Eat When You Have Cancer
- When to Take More Pain Medication