Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

All I read are people getting open excisions and closed excisions, only to keep reading, "It never heals!" Get the cleft lift! It doesn't "deform your butt", it doesn't require a lot of aftercare, and it's done in 45 minutes! I'm still battling my cyst, but if I require a major surgery, cleft lift will be my ONLY choice! I've heard nothing but good about it and no horror stories from it. If that's too extreme, I'm going for "pit picking".

Comment from: Old Hippie, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 76 and am suffering from my first ever pilonidal cyst. It felt as if I was sitting on a golf ball and was extremely painful. Then after several days it burst and was draining. It didn't seem to be getting much better, so as I am diabetic, I went to see my doctor who covered it with a dressing, telling me not to sit very long at a time as that puts too much pressure on it and hinders healing. Well, I am also waiting for a hip replacement operation and because of that, I am unable to stand for long periods at a time -- sometimes hardly at all -- so I have not got the option of "not sitting" for long periods at a time. Even in bed I have to lie on my back all the time, which still puts pressure on the cyst. Sometimes you can't win.

Comment from: StinkButt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Well I was 19 when I first had the Pilonidal Cyst flair up. It was at the tip of my buttocks and at first it was just a little pain, then it grew over night to about the size of a quarter so I went to the doctor he had to lance it (man did that hurt and the smell ehh) then it came back after I put a hot pad on it so I had to have surgery. They did closed healing which it made my butt look like they closed my butt crack at the top and it's very embarrassing. Well now 5 years after my surgery and all that it has been flaring up A LOT LATELY. About once a month. It usually drains so I know I will probably have to have the surgery again. It is probably caused with me sitting for a long time driving.

Comment from: Tucson CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I suspected I had some sort of cyst growing over my lower spine. I sensed pressure and had throbbing pain inch its way up my spine to the base of my brain (excruciating). Then it would suddenly stop and rest a bit and restart up the spine again. I was just about to go to the doctor for a diagnosis when I was a victim of a pedestrian hit and run. Along with multiple other problems from the accident I presented to the trauma unit with my lower back "popped wide open". Since it was on my back and all of my other trauma was on the front of my body and a left leg amputation, the "popped open" back went unnoticed. It went necrotic on me. The doctors were sure I had the gaping hole in my back "BEFORE" being hit. I assure you I did NOT. When I was hoisted off of the hospital bed I think we ALL almost died of the God awful smell coming from this site. Again, the most notable symptom for me was the excruciating pain I had crawl up my back, disk by disk until it hit the base of my brain. I also experienced a noticeable swelling at the bottom of my spine. Thank the Lord I healed wonderfully from the awful experience of having the necrotic tissues surgically removed and enduring MRSA which I acquired at the facility. Again, the most notable symptom for me was the excruciating pain I had crawl up my back, disk by disk until it hit the base of my brain. I also experienced a noticable swelling at the bottom of my spine. Thank the Lord I healed wonderfully from the awful experience of having the necrotic tisssues surgically removed and enduring MRSA which I aquirted at the facility.

Comment from: Dick, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 17

In 1953 in Korea I had to be moved to the hospital from the ship. I had the pilonidal cyst surgically removed. The spinal was the worst pain I have ever had. I spent three weeks on ship before returning to my outfit. I was 19 years and have not had a problem again.

Comment from: StevenG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

I am 38 years old and I have had this issue for the last 20 or so years. I have never gone to the doctor for it. I usually sit with a heating pad and a wet cloth. It is incredibly painful and the discharge has begun to smell lately, so I'm concerned it is infected. My mother and brother had theirs surgically removed and it has not returned. It seems like the best way to go.

Comment from: notaprettygirl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I started getting these cysts in my twenties and I've had so many I can't count. Usually the flare up would be around my menstrual cycle. I stopped eating all meat 7 years ago and haven't had one. Although, the last week I start to eat eggs. I ate them every morning for breakfast. A week later, I have a cyst again. These things are terrible!!!!!

Comment from: Scott, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm 30 years old. Last year I had surgery for my cyst. It has returned. It's very red and it's very painful.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?