Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: tcross, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I just turned sixteen years old and I started having severe pains three days before my birthday. I could not walk, sit, lie down or do anything pretty much. We went to my doctor early Tuesday morning and he felt the large bump for about two seconds and immediately referred me to a surgeon. I did not have any indication of what it was because I had no boil or anything, just a very large bump. Let me tell you it is one of the most painful things ever. All they do to drain it is numb the area (don't believe them when they tell you that it does not hurt because it does) and then they slice open the large bump and out it drains. It is still very painful. I recommend lying on your side and lots of hot baths. It helps with the pain.

Comment from: My G-Maxi Hurts, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had been going through a lot of pain for the last week or so, and I thought that I had bruised my tail bone, or even possibly broken it. I couldn't walk without feeling immense pain, I also couldn't even run, jump, sit on my butt, or even sleep without being in pain. I finally went to the doctor to have it checked out, and finally discovered what was causing all this pain. It was a cyst a little bit below my tail bone. I was lucky to have gone in before it burst, and I am so happy to be on the road to recovery.

Comment from: HELP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I first had my experience with a pilonidal cyst in my early twenties. Having a baby didn't hurt as much as this thing. It was so infected by the time I went to the ER they had to lance it without pain medication, and I almost passed out with pain. To boot they put the drainage on a tray right by my head. This only relieved me a little and I went for the surgery. It was bad they said and I sat on a donut for a long time. There was a sack filled with teeth and hair from when I was a baby. When the Dr. pulled the dressings off that were in the hole, I screamed and cried. Well now twenty years later I feel that tenderness again and I am panicked. I think it is draining though. I started going to a chiropractor and they use this massaging thing up and down my spine including the tailbone.

Comment from: Beaker, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

My pilonidal cyst would develop and swell for several months before it burst and begin to drain. During the developing stages I would be in extreme pain and it was difficult to sit or lay down on my back. The cyst would then burst and drain sometimes for two weeks. The cyst would heal and it might not develop again for a year or two. Upon the third development I went to a surgeon and had it removed. The flesh that contained the cyst was removed and allowed to heal from the inside out. I had the surgery in 2006 and have not had any problems since. I highly recommend the surgery.

Comment from: tender, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was 19 when I had my first flare up with the pilonidal cyst. I had fallen on my tailbone with great force and thought I bruised my tail bone. After three days of horrible pain to the tail bone I could not walk, sit, or even lay on the couch. It made me feel very sick with fever, and that is when I decided to go to the ER, where they told me I had this awful thing. They lanced it and drained it, then packed with gauze. I didn't know much about it then and thought I was rid of it and would never have to go through that again oh boy was I wrong! When I was 20 it came back. The area at the top of the buttock was very swollen on both sides. Very Tender. Red. I couldn't sit. This time I knew what was happening and thought I could wait it out. Again I was wrong had to go back to the ER and have it drained and lanced again. The Lancing and draining of the cyst is such a painful experience I cringe just thinking about it. Now I'm 23 and its back again, but this time it's different. It's open and draining. Usually, I have to go to the doctor to get it drained but this time it has opened on its own and draining. It's very tender and sore. I'm a receptionist so I sit 8hrs a day which I know doesn't help. I'm really hoping this goes away. I'm terrified to get the surgery and hope I don't have to go through that.

Comment from: Karenina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Initially I felt tenderness at the base of my spine. Soon it became painful to the touch. It's a tough area to view on one's own so I had my husband look for me. He said there was redness around the area, near the top and some whitish pus oozing out of a white center. I had him apply peroxide on sterile cotton pads and it bubbled quite a bit. He then packed the area with antibiotic ointment and a sterile cotton pad. I am 57 and have had four occurrences of this in my life.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm a 23-year-old female that just had the operation to remove a pilonidal cyst. The surgeon left my hole open to drain and heal on its own. It's very painful and has to be packed twice a day. I just wish it would go away. I can't sit or anything for a long period of time.

Comment from: notaprettygirl, Female Published: March 08

I suffered from these cysts for over 15 years of my life. They would usually flair up around my time of the month. Two yrs ago I became a vegetarian and have not had one since. It is amazing. There must be something in the meat. Hope this helps!

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?