Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: better, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

The pain from pilonidal cyst started one day and just felt like my lower back was hurting. I have scoliosis, so I assumed that's what my problem was. As the days went by, it became worse and worse to the point where I couldn't sit; it hurt to walk, and I had trouble even sleeping. I developed a bump at the very top part of my bottom. One day I felt it pop. I went to the emergency room where the doctor informed me I had a pilonidal cyst, so he cut it and drained it. I feel 100% better and after it popped all the pain and pressure on my lower back went away and I feel wonderful. All the information from this website is exactly right from the symptoms to the treatment. Just be sure to go to the doctor!!

Comment from: USCcock, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

When I first got the cyst, I thought it was a pimple and ignored it because at the time I had really bad body acne. I left it alone for about 2 years and it would swell and go back down. Its normal size was about the size of a marble and it would swell to about the size of a shooter marble. As you can imagine it was very uncomfortable to sit for very long. I had had it for about 3 years and it had never bothered me very bad until I rode a wooden roller coaster at Six Flags. It made my life miserable for about a week then I finally told my mom about the embarrassing cyst on my tail bone. I had been researching it and trying to figure out what it was that was causing me so much discomfort. I went to my pediatrics and they sent me to a surgeon. He numbed and drained it that day (the numbing didn't help, that was the most pain I had ever been in) and scheduled to have it completely removed a couple days later. The surgery did not last very long and I was asleep for the entire thing. They did not close the hole up because they said it was a very dirty part of the body and they didn't want it to get infected. I didn't feel any pain for the first day or two and then it became very sore. I had to change out the bandages daily. Luckily my best friend's aunt was a nurse so my mom didn't have to do the dirty work. The only time it ever hurt really badly was when I unpacked it in the shower and when my friend's aunt put pressure on it when she packed it back. The doctor said it should be completely healed within six to eight weeks. It took mine almost 6 months to completely heal. I lived my life normally while It was healing and when it was done I could do so many more things than I could when I had it. It was a very unwise choice to wait that long. If you have this, I know it is embarrassing but tell someone ASAP. Do not let it get as bad as mine. Life is so much better without it.

Comment from: tcross, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I just turned sixteen years old and I started having severe pains three days before my birthday. I could not walk, sit, lie down or do anything pretty much. We went to my doctor early Tuesday morning and he felt the large bump for about two seconds and immediately referred me to a surgeon. I did not have any indication of what it was because I had no boil or anything, just a very large bump. Let me tell you it is one of the most painful things ever. All they do to drain it is numb the area (don't believe them when they tell you that it does not hurt because it does) and then they slice open the large bump and out it drains. It is still very painful. I recommend lying on your side and lots of hot baths. It helps with the pain.

Comment from: My G-Maxi Hurts, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I had been going through a lot of pain for the last week or so, and I thought that I had bruised my tail bone, or even possibly broken it. I couldn't walk without feeling immense pain, I also couldn't even run, jump, sit on my butt, or even sleep without being in pain. I finally went to the doctor to have it checked out, and finally discovered what was causing all this pain. It was a cyst a little bit below my tail bone. I was lucky to have gone in before it burst, and I am so happy to be on the road to recovery.

Comment from: HELP, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I first had my experience with a pilonidal cyst in my early twenties. Having a baby didn't hurt as much as this thing. It was so infected by the time I went to the ER they had to lance it without pain medication, and I almost passed out with pain. To boot they put the drainage on a tray right by my head. This only relieved me a little and I went for the surgery. It was bad they said and I sat on a donut for a long time. There was a sack filled with teeth and hair from when I was a baby. When the Dr. pulled the dressings off that were in the hole, I screamed and cried. Well now twenty years later I feel that tenderness again and I am panicked. I think it is draining though. I started going to a chiropractor and they use this massaging thing up and down my spine including the tailbone.

Comment from: Beaker, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

My pilonidal cyst would develop and swell for several months before it burst and begin to drain. During the developing stages I would be in extreme pain and it was difficult to sit or lay down on my back. The cyst would then burst and drain sometimes for two weeks. The cyst would heal and it might not develop again for a year or two. Upon the third development I went to a surgeon and had it removed. The flesh that contained the cyst was removed and allowed to heal from the inside out. I had the surgery in 2006 and have not had any problems since. I highly recommend the surgery.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?