Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: toto, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

I first found out I had a PC when I was 17. I just had some tenderness at my tailbone area. I never could see anything, even when it was swollen and tender, (usually caused by sitting down too hard or something like that). I had it lanced and drained once at age 22. That was REALLY painful. Once it was cleared up and no infection was present I had it surgically removed and in 30 years have never had any problems!!! Unfortunately, now I fear my poor daughter has the same thing!!

Comment from: Jennifer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had 5 Pilonidal Cysts surgeries. The first one was when I was 12 and they continued for the next 3 years. All of my surgeries left deep wounds that my mother said could fit both fists into. My cysts were on my tailbone and required part of my tailbone to actually be removed. I still to this day (6 years later) cannot sit without pain or discomfort from nerve damage and I fear these cysts will come back.

Comment from: Relieved, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I just had surgery to remove my cyst, which started out as a regular sore tailbone feeling I have frequently felt from sitting too long. The pain gradually worsened over a week and it felt like my coccyx had dislocated and was angled to the. However, a few days later, when I was in excruciating pain (couldn't sit, stand, walk, or lay down), it had began to surface. The only thing that made me comfortable was to lay on my side in a warm bath. The surgery was uncomfortable (stung quite a bit) but now it feels much better.

Comment from: cystfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I got my first pilonidal cyst when I was 19 years old. I only noticed when I tried to sit down how much it hurt. The cyst area was very hard and looked bruised. I went to the doctor, he drained it, but then it came back again and he suggested I have surgery to remove the "pocket". I did have the surgery and the opening was packed with gauze and it healed fine and a year after the surgery I had to have it drained one more time and no problems since then.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I got my first cyst at 14 and never knew it because I have never had pain with my cysts. The only way I could tell that something was up was because of the drainage and the first cyst was infected so you really noticed it. So far I have had about 6 surgeries to get rid of the cysts, but they keep coming back. Because they keep coming back I have grown more aware of the cysts presence and know when it's time to see the doctor. For me it seems that if a sit for long periods of time (ex. 16 hr car drive or 24 hr plane ride). I get a small opening and drainage that don't go away and I know it is back. Also, I have noticed swelling when it comes back. Ever since the first one I keep the area as clean as possible and try to avoid sitting for too long and hope that it goes away for good.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have a pilonidal cyst, but at first I thought I had been bit by a spider or something however I've always had a little "tenderness" to my tailbone area. One day, it became red and swollen and the pain was unbearable. I couldn't sit or lay on my back and I couldn't walk without waddling. After going to the doctor, I had it drained and lanced! I feel better and I hope this never happens again!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

As a woman, I have had various cysts in varied locations since the age of 13. I have had surgery and oral treatments and both worked for a period of time. I pray that God will remove this infection from my body. Now, this pilonidal cyst that I have now is small in size and is located right at the upper end of the buttock. It's somewhat painful, but I'm not all that concerned about it. It opens after each hot bath and it drains, but I keep the area clean and covered.

Published: December 29

I had a Pilonidal Cyst a few years ago and had it drained. It came back like they seem to always do, then I had the outpatient surgery. After that, caring for the open wound left in my lower back for months until it healed, I was determined to keep the area devoid of infection.

Comment from: CMH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a pilonidal cyst which turned into an abscess after a violent fall in the shower in 2002. I could not really walk and it hurt to sit. Finally after three days (b/c I assumed it was a bruised tailbone) it grew to the size of a softball. I had to be rushed to the ER to have emergency surgery to open, drain and remove all the infected surrounding tissue. It left a 1-inch deep hole, 2 inches in circumference.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?