Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: tender, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I was 19 when I had my first flare up with the pilonidal cyst. I had fallen on my tailbone with great force and thought I bruised my tail bone. After three days of horrible pain to the tail bone I could not walk, sit, or even lay on the couch. It made me feel very sick with fever, and that is when I decided to go to the ER, where they told me I had this awful thing. They lanced it and drained it, then packed with gauze. I didn't know much about it then and thought I was rid of it and would never have to go through that again oh boy was I wrong! When I was 20 it came back. The area at the top of the buttock was very swollen on both sides. Very Tender. Red. I couldn't sit. This time I knew what was happening and thought I could wait it out. Again I was wrong had to go back to the ER and have it drained and lanced again. The Lancing and draining of the cyst is such a painful experience I cringe just thinking about it. Now I'm 23 and its back again, but this time it's different. It's open and draining. Usually, I have to go to the doctor to get it drained but this time it has opened on its own and draining. It's very tender and sore. I'm a receptionist so I sit 8hrs a day which I know doesn't help. I'm really hoping this goes away. I'm terrified to get the surgery and hope I don't have to go through that.

Comment from: Karenina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Initially I felt tenderness at the base of my spine. Soon it became painful to the touch. It's a tough area to view on one's own so I had my husband look for me. He said there was redness around the area, near the top and some whitish pus oozing out of a white center. I had him apply peroxide on sterile cotton pads and it bubbled quite a bit. He then packed the area with antibiotic ointment and a sterile cotton pad. I am 57 and have had four occurrences of this in my life.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I'm a 23-year-old female that just had the operation to remove a pilonidal cyst. The surgeon left my hole open to drain and heal on its own. It's very painful and has to be packed twice a day. I just wish it would go away. I can't sit or anything for a long period of time.

Comment from: notaprettygirl, Female Published: March 08

I suffered from these cysts for over 15 years of my life. They would usually flair up around my time of the month. Two yrs ago I became a vegetarian and have not had one since. It is amazing. There must be something in the meat. Hope this helps!

Comment from: toto, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 05

I first found out I had a PC when I was 17. I just had some tenderness at my tailbone area. I never could see anything, even when it was swollen and tender, (usually caused by sitting down too hard or something like that). I had it lanced and drained once at age 22. That was REALLY painful. Once it was cleared up and no infection was present I had it surgically removed and in 30 years have never had any problems!!! Unfortunately, now I fear my poor daughter has the same thing!!

Comment from: Jennifer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have had 5 Pilonidal Cysts surgeries. The first one was when I was 12 and they continued for the next 3 years. All of my surgeries left deep wounds that my mother said could fit both fists into. My cysts were on my tailbone and required part of my tailbone to actually be removed. I still to this day (6 years later) cannot sit without pain or discomfort from nerve damage and I fear these cysts will come back.

Comment from: Relieved, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I just had surgery to remove my cyst, which started out as a regular sore tailbone feeling I have frequently felt from sitting too long. The pain gradually worsened over a week and it felt like my coccyx had dislocated and was angled to the. However, a few days later, when I was in excruciating pain (couldn't sit, stand, walk, or lay down), it had began to surface. The only thing that made me comfortable was to lay on my side in a warm bath. The surgery was uncomfortable (stung quite a bit) but now it feels much better.

Comment from: cystfree, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I got my first pilonidal cyst when I was 19 years old. I only noticed when I tried to sit down how much it hurt. The cyst area was very hard and looked bruised. I went to the doctor, he drained it, but then it came back again and he suggested I have surgery to remove the "pocket". I did have the surgery and the opening was packed with gauze and it healed fine and a year after the surgery I had to have it drained one more time and no problems since then.

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I got my first cyst at 14 and never knew it because I have never had pain with my cysts. The only way I could tell that something was up was because of the drainage and the first cyst was infected so you really noticed it. So far I have had about 6 surgeries to get rid of the cysts, but they keep coming back. Because they keep coming back I have grown more aware of the cysts presence and know when it's time to see the doctor. For me it seems that if a sit for long periods of time (ex. 16 hr car drive or 24 hr plane ride). I get a small opening and drainage that don't go away and I know it is back. Also, I have noticed swelling when it comes back. Ever since the first one I keep the area as clean as possible and try to avoid sitting for too long and hope that it goes away for good.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?