Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Started out just a red bump that hurt to the touch... within 24 hours it noticeably grew and was on both side of buttocks. Pain was close to unbearable when standing, sitting, or lying in any position other than on my stomach. I was also running a temperature.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

For my pilonidal cyst, my symptoms were extreme pain along my tailbone. I had a big knot. I can not sit or lay down comfortably and it hurts to walk.

Comment from: morgan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm 16 and I've had 3 in less than a year. First one, they lanced it. Second one, I had surgery on it. They were supposed to take it all out but the doctor cheated his way through to get his money and only left in the outlining. So now I'm on my third cyst. In pain, so much pain. I'm not able to finish the 10th grade and I only have a week left of school. If the doc had cut out everything (like he was supposed to do) I wouldn't be in this condition. I don't want to go through the pain, crying, suffering, etc. I didn't sleep for 4 days on my second cyst. That's what's scaring me the most. I can't see the doctor until 6 days from now.

Comment from: M, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I experienced pain when sitting on a hard surface and thought I had broken my tailbone while snowboarding and falling on my bottom. The pain persisted for awhile and then I went to the doctor and a quick visual examination identified the pilonidal cyst. This happened when I was 19.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My name is Nicole and I am right now 18 years old. My pilonidal cysts problem started in high school around 16. After the process of having it surgically removed and heal from inside out I was so behind in school I failed my first class ever. I just got caught up by the end of the year and the cyst was back for finals. The pain after the cyst becomes inflamed is crucial. I can barely turn over laying down. The cyst coming back a second time made me wonder why me? Two days in the hospital and four weeks recovering each time I have been cyst free for two years, but now I think it's back. I hope I don't have to battle this whole life. The reason I think it's back is because this time instead of being dead center pain in the upper buttocks I feel in my left side and leg. I guess I am looking for advice if I should jump the gun and go straight to the surgeon again cause it feels like the same pain or hope it's something else but either way if anybody had an off center cyst please send comment. I am very sorry for all those out there going through the same thing it is a hard path and I wish you all well and a speedy recovery.

Comment from: SittingPainful, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

My experience with the cyst seems to be a little different from the most. It started with what felt like a tiny golf ball under the skin, at the top of my left buttock near the tailbone. It would be tender, but not red or raised, and it would fade away after a few days. It wasn't until after I had a job that required I be on the road driving quite a bit that the cyst came to the surface and opened. Now the site is tender, and slightly inflamed. It's also constantly open and draining. I'm considering my options retreatment, removal and recovery verses care.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?