Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have a pilonidal cyst, but at first I thought I had been bit by a spider or something however I've always had a little "tenderness" to my tailbone area. One day, it became red and swollen and the pain was unbearable. I couldn't sit or lay on my back and I couldn't walk without waddling. After going to the doctor, I had it drained and lanced! I feel better and I hope this never happens again!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

As a woman, I have had various cysts in varied locations since the age of 13. I have had surgery and oral treatments and both worked for a period of time. I pray that God will remove this infection from my body. Now, this pilonidal cyst that I have now is small in size and is located right at the upper end of the buttock. It's somewhat painful, but I'm not all that concerned about it. It opens after each hot bath and it drains, but I keep the area clean and covered.

Published: December 29

I had a Pilonidal Cyst a few years ago and had it drained. It came back like they seem to always do, then I had the outpatient surgery. After that, caring for the open wound left in my lower back for months until it healed, I was determined to keep the area devoid of infection.

Comment from: CMH, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had a pilonidal cyst which turned into an abscess after a violent fall in the shower in 2002. I could not really walk and it hurt to sit. Finally after three days (b/c I assumed it was a bruised tailbone) it grew to the size of a softball. I had to be rushed to the ER to have emergency surgery to open, drain and remove all the infected surrounding tissue. It left a 1-inch deep hole, 2 inches in circumference.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

Started out just a red bump that hurt to the touch... within 24 hours it noticeably grew and was on both side of buttocks. Pain was close to unbearable when standing, sitting, or lying in any position other than on my stomach. I was also running a temperature.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 03

For my pilonidal cyst, my symptoms were extreme pain along my tailbone. I had a big knot. I can not sit or lay down comfortably and it hurts to walk.

Comment from: morgan, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I'm 16 and I've had 3 in less than a year. First one, they lanced it. Second one, I had surgery on it. They were supposed to take it all out but the doctor cheated his way through to get his money and only left in the outlining. So now I'm on my third cyst. In pain, so much pain. I'm not able to finish the 10th grade and I only have a week left of school. If the doc had cut out everything (like he was supposed to do) I wouldn't be in this condition. I don't want to go through the pain, crying, suffering, etc. I didn't sleep for 4 days on my second cyst. That's what's scaring me the most. I can't see the doctor until 6 days from now.

Comment from: M, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I experienced pain when sitting on a hard surface and thought I had broken my tailbone while snowboarding and falling on my bottom. The pain persisted for awhile and then I went to the doctor and a quick visual examination identified the pilonidal cyst. This happened when I was 19.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

My name is Nicole and I am right now 18 years old. My pilonidal cysts problem started in high school around 16. After the process of having it surgically removed and heal from inside out I was so behind in school I failed my first class ever. I just got caught up by the end of the year and the cyst was back for finals. The pain after the cyst becomes inflamed is crucial. I can barely turn over laying down. The cyst coming back a second time made me wonder why me? Two days in the hospital and four weeks recovering each time I have been cyst free for two years, but now I think it's back. I hope I don't have to battle this whole life. The reason I think it's back is because this time instead of being dead center pain in the upper buttocks I feel in my left side and leg. I guess I am looking for advice if I should jump the gun and go straight to the surgeon again cause it feels like the same pain or hope it's something else but either way if anybody had an off center cyst please send comment. I am very sorry for all those out there going through the same thing it is a hard path and I wish you all well and a speedy recovery.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?