Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: abezyo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 13

I have always had some sort of pain at the end of my tailbone for the last 2 years. And I could never do a sit up properly whenever I worked out because my tailbone would kill me. I never really did anything about it. Last month, I woke up one morning in pain in the same area. I kind of figured it was the same problem as before. Next day the pain got worse. And throughout the day it got worse. And it got to the point where I couldn't even walk. The only way I could move was hunched over limping. Got to a doctor in a box, diagnosed as a pilonidal cyst. He gave me some pain medicine, made a small slit, and it took him about 15 minutes to drain and he drained about 75 percent of it. He referred me to a surgeon and he had me on antibiotics for 3 weeks as the small slit healed. Now I am scheduled for surgery a week from today and hoping this can go away forever! It still is bothersome.

Comment from: Jrilo, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

One day I was getting ready for work. I sat down to put socks on and felt that my buttock cheeks were sore. Not something you go around talking about. Next morning I couldn't stand up all the way. The pain I felt was ridiculous. My mom told me to soak for a while in a hot bath. After soaking a few times the pilonidal cyst came to a head and was ready to be popped. I just couldn't see it to get it. Last thing I wanted to ask my girlfriend to do was pop it. The pain was too much and I had to do something. I lay on the bed face down. I gave her a razor and told her to pop it and squeeze it till nothing but blood came out. After it was drained I was able to stand up straight and walk normal and the pain was gone pretty much. Popping and the cyst returning happened back and forth for years. I had surgery, about a 6 inch incision down the cleft. Surgery was awful. I ended up ripping stitches and bleeding for about 4 months straight. Finally after going to the doctor every day and getting my bike painted with silver nitrate, the incision finally healed.

Comment from: Jacey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

At 24 I was pregnant and began having severe pain at the base of my spine. The obstetrician told me he didn't see anything and was still planning to perform the C-section end of the week. Within 2 days I was in the emergency room with several hot, swollen areas above my buttock crease. A surgeon agreed to drain the pilonidal cysts but told me to wait until I had delivered to follow up with him. This procedure took 20 minutes and it was immediate relief. Within 5 months, the same thing happened. This time I called the surgeon's office and the surgery was performed the following day. What a relief, finally. These things are painful and take months to heal.

Comment from: Concerned, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My granddaughter, age 17, is going through her first -- and hopefully last -- experience with a pilonidal cyst. She was taken to an orthopedic surgeon thinking she had hit her tailbone. He ordered X-rays, which were negative. He told her to go home and take Tylenol. He never did look at her buttocks area, only felt through her clothes. Two days later, she was in excruciating pain. We took her to a walk-in pediatrics' office, and we were asked why we waited so long. At that point it was a large, elongated mass starting at the top of her butt and oozing. He did numb the area and excised it. She cried in pain as he was doing this. She had to come back the next three days for him to pack and check it. For the next several days we had to change the packing. She is still in a lot of pain. She was also put on Bactrim. I certainly hope this clears up with no complications.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

When I was 22 years old I had a terrible pain, it felt like I had a hard fall on my tail bone and bruised it, but I knew I hadn't. It continued to get worse within 36 hours, and at 48-72 hours, I could hardly sit down due to the pain. I went to my primary doctor and they diagnosed it as a pilonidal cyst. Within 24hrs of the onset of pain, onto the right side of my tail bone, I could see in the mirror a slightly raised oval shaped, dark red area in between my butt cheeks that was warm to the touch. The doctor advised it was a cyst I was probably born with, or it may have been caused by a hard fall on my tailbone earlier in life. He advised it would be something I would have the rest of my life, unless I had surgery, and even with surgery the cyst could still return. He prescribed me Augmentin and within days I felt better and the cyst "disappeared". A couple years later it returned and then left with the same treatment. Luckily, I am 36 years old now and have not had a reoccurrence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My first experience with this problem began when I was 13. I went through the process of it swelling and draining for years. I finally had to have the surgery and was told that it had been there since I was born. They had to scrape the hair and bone and the other contents off of my tailbone. They stapled the incision and it became infected. They ripped the staples out and left it open, and it had to be irrigated and packed three times a day. It was quite an ordeal, but I haven't had any problems with that particular one since. I have, however, had problems with others in different places on my body. I have a son who is experiencing the same problem with the pilonidal cyst and will probably have to go through the surgery eventually.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?