Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: Concerned, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 31

My granddaughter, age 17, is going through her first -- and hopefully last -- experience with a pilonidal cyst. She was taken to an orthopedic surgeon thinking she had hit her tailbone. He ordered X-rays, which were negative. He told her to go home and take Tylenol. He never did look at her buttocks area, only felt through her clothes. Two days later, she was in excruciating pain. We took her to a walk-in pediatrics' office, and we were asked why we waited so long. At that point it was a large, elongated mass starting at the top of her butt and oozing. He did numb the area and excised it. She cried in pain as he was doing this. She had to come back the next three days for him to pack and check it. For the next several days we had to change the packing. She is still in a lot of pain. She was also put on Bactrim. I certainly hope this clears up with no complications.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

When I was 22 years old I had a terrible pain, it felt like I had a hard fall on my tail bone and bruised it, but I knew I hadn't. It continued to get worse within 36 hours, and at 48-72 hours, I could hardly sit down due to the pain. I went to my primary doctor and they diagnosed it as a pilonidal cyst. Within 24hrs of the onset of pain, onto the right side of my tail bone, I could see in the mirror a slightly raised oval shaped, dark red area in between my butt cheeks that was warm to the touch. The doctor advised it was a cyst I was probably born with, or it may have been caused by a hard fall on my tailbone earlier in life. He advised it would be something I would have the rest of my life, unless I had surgery, and even with surgery the cyst could still return. He prescribed me Augmentin and within days I felt better and the cyst "disappeared". A couple years later it returned and then left with the same treatment. Luckily, I am 36 years old now and have not had a reoccurrence.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

My first experience with this problem began when I was 13. I went through the process of it swelling and draining for years. I finally had to have the surgery and was told that it had been there since I was born. They had to scrape the hair and bone and the other contents off of my tailbone. They stapled the incision and it became infected. They ripped the staples out and left it open, and it had to be irrigated and packed three times a day. It was quite an ordeal, but I haven't had any problems with that particular one since. I have, however, had problems with others in different places on my body. I have a son who is experiencing the same problem with the pilonidal cyst and will probably have to go through the surgery eventually.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

All I read are people getting open excisions and closed excisions, only to keep reading, "It never heals!" Get the cleft lift! It doesn't "deform your butt", it doesn't require a lot of aftercare, and it's done in 45 minutes! I'm still battling my cyst, but if I require a major surgery, cleft lift will be my ONLY choice! I've heard nothing but good about it and no horror stories from it. If that's too extreme, I'm going for "pit picking".

Comment from: Old Hippie, 75 or over (Patient) Published: March 30

I am 76 and am suffering from my first ever pilonidal cyst. It felt as if I was sitting on a golf ball and was extremely painful. Then after several days it burst and was draining. It didn't seem to be getting much better, so as I am diabetic, I went to see my doctor who covered it with a dressing, telling me not to sit very long at a time as that puts too much pressure on it and hinders healing. Well, I am also waiting for a hip replacement operation and because of that, I am unable to stand for long periods at a time -- sometimes hardly at all -- so I have not got the option of "not sitting" for long periods at a time. Even in bed I have to lie on my back all the time, which still puts pressure on the cyst. Sometimes you can't win.

Comment from: StinkButt, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Well I was 19 when I first had the Pilonidal Cyst flair up. It was at the tip of my buttocks and at first it was just a little pain, then it grew over night to about the size of a quarter so I went to the doctor he had to lance it (man did that hurt and the smell ehh) then it came back after I put a hot pad on it so I had to have surgery. They did closed healing which it made my butt look like they closed my butt crack at the top and it's very embarrassing. Well now 5 years after my surgery and all that it has been flaring up A LOT LATELY. About once a month. It usually drains so I know I will probably have to have the surgery again. It is probably caused with me sitting for a long time driving.

Comment from: Tucson CJ, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I suspected I had some sort of cyst growing over my lower spine. I sensed pressure and had throbbing pain inch its way up my spine to the base of my brain (excruciating). Then it would suddenly stop and rest a bit and restart up the spine again. I was just about to go to the doctor for a diagnosis when I was a victim of a pedestrian hit and run. Along with multiple other problems from the accident I presented to the trauma unit with my lower back "popped wide open". Since it was on my back and all of my other trauma was on the front of my body and a left leg amputation, the "popped open" back went unnoticed. It went necrotic on me. The doctors were sure I had the gaping hole in my back "BEFORE" being hit. I assure you I did NOT. When I was hoisted off of the hospital bed I think we ALL almost died of the God awful smell coming from this site. Again, the most notable symptom for me was the excruciating pain I had crawl up my back, disk by disk until it hit the base of my brain. I also experienced a noticeable swelling at the bottom of my spine. Thank the Lord I healed wonderfully from the awful experience of having the necrotic tissues surgically removed and enduring MRSA which I acquired at the facility. Again, the most notable symptom for me was the excruciating pain I had crawl up my back, disk by disk until it hit the base of my brain. I also experienced a noticable swelling at the bottom of my spine. Thank the Lord I healed wonderfully from the awful experience of having the necrotic tisssues surgically removed and enduring MRSA which I aquirted at the facility.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?