Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: In pain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I got a pilonidal cyst a week after I had my baby. I had 29 stitches I was already in a lot of pain when my tailbone started hurting, especially when I'm sitting. I used some hot presses. The next morning, the area was in a lot of pain and was oozing pus. I went to the hospital where the doctor numbed the area and took out the pus. I had a home care come and pack it for two months. It was very painful during those first few weeks. Finally it almost closed, and I went back to the surgeon. He said I needed an operation cause it was still draining. So now it's been a week since the operation, and it's still very painful. Now, I'm getting the area packed every day.

Comment from: tracker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a pilonidal cyst which required lancing and draining. A local anesthetic was administered prior to the procedure. There was no pain during the procedure and little pain afterwards. It was not as big a deal as some people have experienced.

Comment from: B.J., 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 31

My pilonidal cyst burst on its own. I experienced chills and fever, sweating, headache and aching joints. I am currently taking an antibiotic named Clindamycin four times daily with food and water. The deep hole is closing after 6 days of medicine. I feel uncomfortable sitting, so I lie down when I can.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I got my first pilonidal cyst at age 40. I am now 51 and still, I can't get rid of it. After many surgeries, I still have a pin hole that drains yellow fluid ever so slowly. During one of my surgeries, the tip of my tailbone was removed because the cyst was wrapped too many times around it. Although I don't hurt anymore, I would like to get rid of this thing once and for all.

Comment from: thechamp, Female Published: April 19

I am 26 and I just suffered from a pilonidal abscess. I have always had a little lump under my skin for about the past 3-4 years and it was tender. I remember at one point it hurt so bad that I could not get in and out of my car. I had to drive with my body stretched straight which was very uncomfortable. Then one day the pain went away and I felt normal. My doctor had said that many times these cysts will go away on their own. Now three years later this past week that same cyst started to grow. Within about 48 hours it went to being the size of a pea to the size of a golf ball. It was sore and I could not sit down. My doctor sent me to the ER where they lanced and drained it. The doctor shot multiple needles of numbing medicine around and in the infected area. It felt like she was shooting fire in my body. Bad enough I was lying on my stomach so the only thing I could do was try to crawl away off the table. It was more painful than natural childbirth! When the medicine kicked in she then cut open the area and drained it. A lot of pus, blood and nasty stuff came out, and I am glad that I couldn't watch. She packed it and I returned 2 days later and I just got my packing removed. I feel much better. The doctor said it almost always comes back in patients.

Comment from: jackie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had a cyst when I was seventeen and in excruciating pain I had it lanced and drained only to have to do it all again 6months later as the surgeons couldn't get it all the first time. Now 16years later it is back and I am on my third round of antibiotics to try to get rid of it without lancing it again.

Comment from: Sharon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

From the age of 15 to 19, the cyst would come back and I would have it lanced. Finally, at age 19 the doctor decided to do the surgery and I haven't had a problem since, but the area is very sensitive and I can't sit for very long.

Comment from: flaelbib, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I had surgery for a cyst when I was 15. I'm now 29 and have not had a recurrence, though the area is sensitive and uncomfortable when sitting for long periods. The first surgeon I went to wanted to make two diagonal incisions and basically sew it up in a way that would have flattened the cleft. It did not sound like a good idea so we got a second opinion. The surgery ended up being a vertical incision along the cleft and the area was drained and cleaned. It was packed with gauze to heal from the inside out. The healing process took several weeks and the wound was a pain to take care of, but I'm still convinced it was the right treatment. There was never much pain but the bleeding and constant draining in the first several days was pretty hard to deal with.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

From WebMD