Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: Kate, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was 17 years old. At first I had thought I had chipped my tailbone or something like that. I later had found out that it had become infected. It was so painful that I couldn't sit right and developed back problems. There were no exterior signs so when I discussed my pain in my tailbone and back, we decided to go to a chiropractor. It helped with the back pain but not my tailbone. After several months of pain and 3 chiropractor visits the cyst ruptured. There was some relief because the drainage caused the pressure to go away but the smell was horrible. After an emergency visit to my doctor he explained what it was and recommended I have it surgically removed. My scar was 4 inches long and almost 2 inches deep. The worst part besides the actual pain of the surgery was repacking the wound twice a day. I would remove the dressing, clean the wound, and then my mother would have to pack it with gauze. It was disgusting. So heads up if you are feeling slight pain in your tailbone. Don't wait too long to have it checked out.

Comment from: Sara, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was in my early 20s. I didn't know that it was there until after it burst. There was a lot of pressure on my behind and I found it more and more difficult to move as the days went on. On about the third day I went to my doctor and he said that I had probably broken my tailbone. I went to get X-rays but the pain was so bad that I pleaded them not to make me lie on my back. They told me I had to so when I did the infection that had been building up burst through my skin. The next day I went back to my doctor, and he sent me to the hospital for emergency care. After seven hours in the waiting room, a surgeon came in and told me that I would need a drain. He put the drain in me without any anesthetic. After the drain was removed I had the dressings in the open wound changed daily by homecare. It wasn't healing so the surgeon decided that I needed further surgery. This time I was given anesthetic but the huge gaping wound was so big that you could see my spine and there were lots of tracks that needed to be packed and repacked on a daily basis. It was extremely painful. They would still would not heal so I went to a special wound care clinic. I was given a further surgery and was put to sleep this time. After the surgery my wound still would not heal so I had a medical vacuum attached with a sponge in my wound which dried out the wound. I had to wear this machine all of the time and had to go to the hospital every day to get the sponge ripped out and changed. It was also incredibly painful. Eventually the wound healed after a few months with the vacuum. The whole ordeal was a year and a half and was so horrendous. I actually had another cyst that burst while I was healing from the previous one but since there was a track left, it luckily drained itself. I wanted to let everyone know that if you are in the same situation that I was in, the vacuum really can help you and was the only thing that would work for me.

Comment from: Jesse S, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I started having pain at the age of 13. I had the doctor lance it in the office and I have had five surgeries, including the flap done. I am now 26 and it still hasn't healed. I have put sterile gauze on it twice a day for half my life and am getting real tired of it.

Comment from: HD ANG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

Yes, indeed definitely painful, not only before surgery due to the swelling of pus but the procedure was not a joy ride however the second worst part was having to have the wound repacked every single day until the wound healed up completely and taking the dressing out of the wound was awfully painful as well.

Comment from: Saul, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 17

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was 15, but I thought it wasn't a big deal. It was lanced and drained two years ago, but immediately the doctor said I need surgery, so I had an incision, but my cyst was beside there on my left cheek. The incision was about two inches long and I had stitches. I stayed in bed lying on stomach for a month and a half. The doctor didn't give me antibiotics so it got infected. I got antibiotics from another doctor and the infection went down.

Comment from: Syona, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I'm 18 & this is the first time I've ever heard about anything like this. After I was feeling some discomfort the pain got to the point of where I couldn't do anything without being in extreme pain. At first the ER doctors diagnosed me with a pilonidal abscess above my tailbone. They drained it and gave me pain medications and an antibiotic. A few days later the pain was worse than it originally was. We returned to the emergency room and they diagnosed me with a pilonidal cyst. They had to surgically remove it and I have to go back for unpacking. I hope to never have this happen again.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?