Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: KB, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 51 year old male. I had a pilonidal cyst flare-up when I was 30 years old. It very painful. The doctor had me apply moist heat (in the form of boiled washcloths) for 24 hours to see if I could get the cyst to erupt on the skin's surface through the fistula. It worked like a charm. The pain dissipated very rapidly and the tenderness disappeared in a day or two. I have not had a problem since.

Comment from: sonya s, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I must say I never thought I would be going through this. The first time, I was in my twenties and now, I'm in my forties. It came back and I had to get it opened and drained. I had it packed and closed and two weeks later, it's back. Now my doctors want do surgery.

Comment from: unitygal, (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm 67. I have had the cyst since I was in my early teens. I never talked to a doctor about the cyst until about two years ago. I would just deal with the pain and swelling. A bath in very hot water would often cause it to drain and relieve the pressure. I don't get flare-ups too often, but two years ago I had a mastectomy and before surgery my cyst was unbearable. During surgery my surgeon lanced it and I have had no pain until now. Today my surgeon gave me many local anesthesia shots which felt like bee stings. Then he opened up the cyst, cleaned it out and put silver nitrate in the wound and packed it. Now that I'm reading all of these comments, I'm so very shocked at how many people have this problem!

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I'm currently having another encounter with the cyst. I can't walk properly, sit, drive, or even sleep. This is much worse than the last one, but it seems as though it is beginning to drain itself.

Comment from: WAyhne, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a pilonidal cysts removed when I was 20. The surgeon left the wound open and I was shocked as to the size of it, and the amount of tissue that was removed. It took approximately 6 weeks to heal. However I am pleased to say that 35 years later, I have never had a recurrence. The surgery and open wound recovery are brutal, but definitely worth it long term.

Comment from: starr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I get them every six to eight months on my lower back. They are big and very, very painful. I have had one removed and it is very painful. I have one now.

Comment from: Stephanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I had my first flare up at 18 years old while at my college orientation. I went to the ER where it was lanced and packed. About 15 years later the cyst became inflamed again and it had to lanced. Once a year for the next five years I had this recurring problem and it wasn't until two years ago that I was told that I needed to have surgery to have the cyst removed. So this past June I had the surgery. There was no real pain for the first four days. I felt fine until the pain medication that was left in the surgery site wore off. Even after that the pain was not bad. I went to tech doctor once a week for seven weeks and he used silver nitrate to keep the incision open, which resulted in a very painful burning sensation. Things seem to be going well until about a month ago when the area became inflamed with pus and blood causing great pain. Finally it burst on its own. One week later I was back for more surgery. I don't know if this is ever going to end.

Comment from: ConcernedParent, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My son came to me and told me that his low back hurt. I asked him if he fell or lifted anything to hurt his back. He said no and that it almost felt like his butt bone is broke. I gave him some Motrin and he went to bed. The next morning, he sent me a text because he could not even get up out of bed. I took him to the ER and the doctor looked at him and knew what it was immediately. The ER Doctor put him on antibiotics and some strong pain medicine until we could see the surgeon the next day. I get him home and he goes straight to bed. At 6:00 O'clock that evening, he yells for me and is screaming and crying telling me that he needs to go back to the ER! The pain was now at a 10 with narcotic pain medicine! The ER admitted him for pain control and he had surgery the next day. He had two open incisions that were packed and needed to be changed and repacked daily. The first packing change was excruciating for him! It took four of us to hold him down.

Comment from: ugghhh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I am now on my second recurrence with a pilonidal cyst. The first time I went on Cipro and it went away. It never seems to drain. It just goes away, and I have it again now and am on Cipro once again.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?