Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

This pilonidal cyst is, hands down, the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I've had this three times in a single year. Talk about pain and embarrassment! I got hit by a van while I was on a bike and I feel this hurts more than when I got wrecked. I'm taking a flight to Boston and this is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! If you ever get one of these, take action immediately. This is not a game. You will regret it if you don't listen to me.

Comment from: RayRay, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My son just had surgery yesterday due to a pilonidal cyst. He had the cyst and was draining for almost a month before I even knew he had it. I took him to his regular doctor and she immediately told me he had an open fistula and that he needed surgery right away. She did schedule him with a surgeon the following day, but said if he got worse before to take him straight to the emergency room. Later that night as my son was unable to sit anymore. I took him to the hospital where they told me after examining him that he did not in fact have a fistula. They were unable to see anything wrong with him, but were going to do a CT scan. After totally traumatizing my son and having to sedate him after , they told me there was nothing to be found. I took my son to the surgeon the next morning as scheduled and after a two-minute examination, he told me that my son in fact had a pilonidal cyst. The cyst was large as we knew from examination but once they got in there they found it to be as large as a softball.

Comment from: KB, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 51 year old male. I had a pilonidal cyst flare-up when I was 30 years old. It very painful. The doctor had me apply moist heat (in the form of boiled washcloths) for 24 hours to see if I could get the cyst to erupt on the skin's surface through the fistula. It worked like a charm. The pain dissipated very rapidly and the tenderness disappeared in a day or two. I have not had a problem since.

Comment from: sonya s, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I must say I never thought I would be going through this. The first time, I was in my twenties and now, I'm in my forties. It came back and I had to get it opened and drained. I had it packed and closed and two weeks later, it's back. Now my doctors want do surgery.

Comment from: unitygal, (Patient) Published: July 25

I'm 67. I have had the cyst since I was in my early teens. I never talked to a doctor about the cyst until about two years ago. I would just deal with the pain and swelling. A bath in very hot water would often cause it to drain and relieve the pressure. I don't get flare-ups too often, but two years ago I had a mastectomy and before surgery my cyst was unbearable. During surgery my surgeon lanced it and I have had no pain until now. Today my surgeon gave me many local anesthesia shots which felt like bee stings. Then he opened up the cyst, cleaned it out and put silver nitrate in the wound and packed it. Now that I'm reading all of these comments, I'm so very shocked at how many people have this problem!

Comment from: 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: June 26

I'm currently having another encounter with the cyst. I can't walk properly, sit, drive, or even sleep. This is much worse than the last one, but it seems as though it is beginning to drain itself.

Comment from: WAyhne, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 11

I had a pilonidal cysts removed when I was 20. The surgeon left the wound open and I was shocked as to the size of it, and the amount of tissue that was removed. It took approximately 6 weeks to heal. However I am pleased to say that 35 years later, I have never had a recurrence. The surgery and open wound recovery are brutal, but definitely worth it long term.

Comment from: starr, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I get them every six to eight months on my lower back. They are big and very, very painful. I have had one removed and it is very painful. I have one now.

Comment from: Stephanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I had my first flare up at 18 years old while at my college orientation. I went to the ER where it was lanced and packed. About 15 years later the cyst became inflamed again and it had to lanced. Once a year for the next five years I had this recurring problem and it wasn't until two years ago that I was told that I needed to have surgery to have the cyst removed. So this past June I had the surgery. There was no real pain for the first four days. I felt fine until the pain medication that was left in the surgery site wore off. Even after that the pain was not bad. I went to tech doctor once a week for seven weeks and he used silver nitrate to keep the incision open, which resulted in a very painful burning sensation. Things seem to be going well until about a month ago when the area became inflamed with pus and blood causing great pain. Finally it burst on its own. One week later I was back for more surgery. I don't know if this is ever going to end.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?