Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

...
Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: September 01

I had my polinidal cyst when I was 16. It was huge with 2 heads. My doctor drained and cleaned it as best he could, but it was weeping for six months. I then had surgery were it was cut out. I had 29 stitches internally and could not put pressure on that area for many years. I am now 59 years old and I have never had a recurrence.

Comment from: lilbambino628, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 25

My son had surgery for a pilondal cyst. took him to a dermatologist, told me he needs to see a surgeon. It was a small opened wound w/o foul secretions. He had the surgery, me being a nurse took care of him, I was told, this could come back for it is common in men, the hair follicle gets infected, could be a closed or open wound. 5 yrs later, (NOW) he came to me and he has a small hole, w/o infection. I check alll!!!! These things grow via blood supply! That's a fact. It should be removed, and all arteries, or blood supplying the site should be cauterized, to end the blood supply. My son is not happy, as I'm not as well, however, if this is to grow you will need surgery in the end. If you have "pus" coming from the site you need to be on antibiotics for this can lead to your blood and become systemic. I hope this helped you. Believe me, I'm not looking forward to having my son in surgery.

Comment from: helpme, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I thought that my cyst was just an abscess, having it opened and drained twice, until I finally went in for my yearly physical and was told it was a pilonidal cyst and that it would need to be surgically removed. I have not done this yet, however my about 2 inches from my rectum and every day I can squeeze about the size of a dime of pus out and then it is bearable. Almost like a giant pimple! I am really not looking forward to the surgery if it's as bad as it sounds and just keeps coming back! I need some encouraging comments!!

Comment from: Proudmommy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 02

I am 21 and my first pilonidal cyst was when I was eight months pregnant. My son is now over two years old. It's back now, and I've had this one going on over a week. I've been to the E.R. twice. They have lanced it and tried to drain it, but the only thing that would drain was blood, not pus. I've been in excruciating pain. I'm doing everything they said: hot baths, antibiotics, and I try to walk around as much as I can.

Comment from: ncgirl, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I had a pilonidal cyst lanced and drained 6 days ago. I noticed the pain on my tailbone. I developed an abscess that had grown and was probably an inch wide. Having the cyst lanced was incredibly painful, because the numbing medication does not work when you have an infection causing a lot of inflammation. Now, 6 days later, I am practically pain-free. I had the wound packed with gauze and I am supposed to pull out an inch a day until there is no packing left, then am supposed to just leave it covered until it's healed on the outside too. It seems like 6 days is early for my packing to run out. I am a bit nervous about this, even though my doctor said she got all of the infection out and I am now pain-free, which makes me think I am healing fast.

Comment from: Smalltown girl, 25-34 Female Published: March 26

The first time I had this pilonidal cyst I was 25 yrs old. I was totally embarrassed, scared and upset. I felt like an outcast because I have never known of anyone to have this before. It ruptured because I never sought treatment. I finally went to my family physician and got it drained. I had no problems, then three years later it came back. I went to the ER the morning it ruptured then was referred to a surgeon. Now I have to have someone pack my incision twice a day they say for at least month or so until the incision is healed. I returned back to work and I'm gonna do what I gotta do to make this better and hopefully it doesn't return!!

Comment from: jason, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 24

This pilonidal cyst is, hands down, the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I've had this three times in a single year. Talk about pain and embarrassment! I got hit by a van while I was on a bike and I feel this hurts more than when I got wrecked. I'm taking a flight to Boston and this is a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy! If you ever get one of these, take action immediately. This is not a game. You will regret it if you don't listen to me.

Comment from: RayRay, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: December 20

My son just had surgery yesterday due to a pilonidal cyst. He had the cyst and was draining for almost a month before I even knew he had it. I took him to his regular doctor and she immediately told me he had an open fistula and that he needed surgery right away. She did schedule him with a surgeon the following day, but said if he got worse before to take him straight to the emergency room. Later that night as my son was unable to sit anymore. I took him to the hospital where they told me after examining him that he did not in fact have a fistula. They were unable to see anything wrong with him, but were going to do a CT scan. After totally traumatizing my son and having to sedate him after , they told me there was nothing to be found. I took my son to the surgeon the next morning as scheduled and after a two-minute examination, he told me that my son in fact had a pilonidal cyst. The cyst was large as we knew from examination but once they got in there they found it to be as large as a softball.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear o...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that c...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?