Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had recurring episodes, then at around age 35 outpatient surgery under general anesthetic to remove it. It was inconvenient, but not horrible. I have never had another episode and don't even think about it anymore. It sounds like others have had much more difficult experiences, but it is probably important for people to know it isn't always that bad. I am very glad I had the surgery and took care of it seemingly forever.

Comment from: Jeff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

In 1995, my first symptom was lower back pain. This pain was the infection, and a few days later it erupted. A month later the same symptoms and the results occurred. Almost 20 years later, I haven't had surgery and continue living with drainage but not as heavy as the first flare-ups.

Comment from: Marc, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 06

It started as something that looked like a small spot that leaked occasionally. I thought nothing of it for the first six months. I then decided to see a GP. The first GP took a swab and said there is nothing to worry about, as did the 2nd, 3rd and 4th GPs. After seeing a 5th GP he said I would need an operation and told me the name of the problem. I went for my first surgery in March 2008 and, following four weeks off work for recovery, I had no more symptoms until 2010. I was taken in for surgery number two in 2010. This was packed and dressed daily by my local RNs. This wound broke down before it fully healed. I was taken in for surgery number three in April 2010. This was, again packed and dressed every day, and, broke down again. In July 2010 I had surgery number four to try and solve this problem, and yet again, my wound broke down. The practice nurses were packing and dressing the wound every day when I was booked in for another operation to, yup, you guessed it, finally try and solve it. So surgery number five took place with an excision with Z-plasty primary closure. This seemed to be going great until Z-plasty started breaking down. I was taken into hospital had my sixth surgery and I was fitted with a Negative Pressure Wound Therapy System. This brings us to the present. I still have the NPWT System fitted and all seems to be going well, so, fingers crossed, I will be well, soon enough.

Comment from: 19-24 Male Published: December 13

It's painful to walk stand or even lay down. I am in horrible pain. Anytime I moved my legs there was shooting pain on my tailbone.

Comment from: jen16, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My son has just had surgery for this. It all started with no visible signs but he was in severe pain, which was constant and resulted in quite a few sleepless nights. He was originally diagonised with an anal fissure but symptons continued and he eventually developed a fever, and the appearance of two very small lumps at the top of his bum.

Comment from: worstpainEVER, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I had a pilonidal cyst for the first time about a year ago at the age of 19. My tailbone felt like I had cracked it. I couldn't walk or sit comfortably at all. I used hot compression and applied a Draw Out Salve medication (black gooey cream) until this disgusting pus started dripping out. I used gauze to cover it and fully drained it all. The next day, I felt like a NEW person.

Comment from: Lake Annis, Female Published: October 24

Two of my children, both females were born with pilonidal cysts!

Comment from: cystsucks, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I got my first pilonidal cyst at 16. I am now almost 40, and it has recurred many times. Sometimes there are five years between flare-ups, but lately I get one about every eight months. I shave, clean, stay away from fast foods and fried foods, and do everything I can think of. It doesn't matter, it still comes back. It is very painful. I would rather be kicked in the testicles with a golf cleat. My doctor doesn't want me to get surgery. And other doctors don't even want to touch it. I can't sit, stand, lie down, turn over, my whole body aches it spreads down to my hips and knees. I shiver, get vertigo, and nausea. It truly sucks. My friends tell me that I should keep looking for a doctor to help me until I find relief.

Comment from: Esti, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 04

My cyst was diagnosed at age 18, and I had surgery. A year later it happened again and in 2009 I had two surgeries. Believe it or not it has resurfaced again.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?