Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: Shortnsweetme, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was 14 when I got mine, couldn't sit, lie down, or walk. Although I do feel the most relief right after pressure is applied. It's when I first sit or first get up that is the most painful. I had it lanced the first time it came up, and the packing process is horrible! I feel mine is hormonal, I got my period for the first time just days after it was lanced, and I'm pregnant now and I have gotten it about 5 times in my 24 weeks of pregnancy. Luckily it doesn't have the nasty smell when it drains anymore.

Comment from: ohgodwhyme, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

My pilonidal cyst showed up when I had just turned 17. I had a large cyst at the bottom of my spine with three drainage holes a couple centimeters apart in the cleft of my bottom. The drainage consisted of pus and blood and once bled so much that it leaked through my shorts. I was embarrassed so I put off seeing the doctor, which meant that by the time I saw him my condition was so bad that it needed surgery. I had outpatient surgery in which my cyst was removed and stitched up. I found that sitting and lying on the sides of my hips, rather than flat eased the pain and pressure on the wound a little. The stitches were taken out and I made appointments each week to see the doctor. He sometimes put drops of silver nitrate in the wound, which I'm still not too sure about, but it did help heal it a bit. My wound took about 18 months to heal, but then started draining again. The longest time it has been healed for has been about two months. The place where the cyst was will decrease and increase in size, filling up with liquid and then "deflating" as it heals. I catch the drainage with pads, which I wear every day, placed at the waistline of my underwear. This may be a bit embarrassing for boys, but it really works! Almost three years later, my wound is still draining; I'm still sitting on the sides of my hips; my life is still being inconvenienced; and I'm still wondering if I will ever be rid of this disease. I hope this detailed description of my experience helps someone else, even though it has been unsuccessful for me.

Comment from: Unknown, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

When I was 13, I notice it was causing me too much pain to sit down, lay down, and walk. In school, I had to walk around like a penguin and everyone was laughing at me. That's when my mom and grandma thought it was hemorrhoids and when the cream they gave me didn't work, my mom took me to the hospital and had it surgically removed. They put me on a little bit of morphine but the pain was still excruciating. The following year, I was finding it hard to sit down in school and had to stand up during classes. I went to get it checked out to find it came back. This time I had surgery, they gave me stitches. A couple of months later, it came back again I had it surgically removed. Now I still feel pain whenever I try to sit down for a long time. Would you believe me if I said I was a 15 year old girl?

Comment from: Ms Jina, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was 17 or 18. My doctor lanced the outside and I was fine until I was 26 or 27 and it came back. I had it lanced again and then I was scheduled for surgery. The surgeon said I had a lemon sized cyst in there. They left the wound open to heal and had to be packed daily with a bleach/water solution. That was the painful part, but eventually it healed up very well.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I had a pilonidal cyst when I was 15. I am now 44 and female. I have yet had a recurrence. Crossing fingers. I had to have mine surgically removed. It healed up to a little hole. Then the hole would not heal. Every week I had to go in and have a doctor cauterize the wound. That was painful. I finally went to a doctor who said that it would not heal that way. I had to go in and have another surgery which they cut around the hole and left the whole are open to heal naturally. It had to be packed and cleaned every day. On top of this I had to go to school every day like that.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I had recurring episodes, then at around age 35 outpatient surgery under general anesthetic to remove it. It was inconvenient, but not horrible. I have never had another episode and don't even think about it anymore. It sounds like others have had much more difficult experiences, but it is probably important for people to know it isn't always that bad. I am very glad I had the surgery and took care of it seemingly forever.

Comment from: Jeff, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

In 1995, my first symptom was lower back pain. This pain was the infection, and a few days later it erupted. A month later the same symptoms and the results occurred. Almost 20 years later, I haven't had surgery and continue living with drainage but not as heavy as the first flare-ups.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?