Viewer Comments: Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms Experience

What symptoms did you experience with your pilonidal cyst?

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: September 26

I (female, 56 years old now) had a pilonidal cyst removed 32 years ago. It was left open, and I don't remember pain associated with the healing process. The only pain I remember was the headaches/nausea that I had as a side-effect of the spinal anesthesia. I have not had a recurrence since.

Comment from: ayagirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had my first pilonidal cyst at age 16. I didn't know what it was just that there was extreme pain on my upper tail bone all the time. I went to see a surgeon who had me in surgery 30min. later. Over the years it would sometimes drain and get a little painful, but 30 years later it's back in full force. Surgery was performed four days ago and instead of being left opened a packed like the first time, this time I have stitches and a drain tube. This is much less painful, but I fear that when I return today for post-op check up that the stitches will have to be removed and packing placed. I believe it is infected, been running low fever and pain is a little worse each day.

Comment from: purplegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

Mine surfaced at the age of 15 or 16 - I was lucky in that mine drained when it flared up - it was still very painful, but the pressure associated with swelling wasn't as great. My doctor suggested surgery to remove it, and chose to leave it open vs. closing it with stitches as he said the chance of recurrence was minimal that way. It is now 30 years later, and no recurrence.

Comment from: Betty Boop, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I am a 'rarity' then; I am a Caucasian female, 51 years old and was just diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst! I'd been having lower back pain for about three weeks and suddenly found a lump 'deep' in my left buttock near the tailbone region (L)side. The pain when sitting at work (desk job)has been very uncomfortable. There is 'no' sign of an opening yet, although my physician said it wasn't ready to erupt and the site of eruption could be as far as two inches from the cyst itself? Ugh...So, I am going to a surgeon to have her take a look at it to determine what to do next.

Comment from: Laurie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

With my pilonidal cyst, I had blood and a sticky substance that smelled oozing from the cyst. It oozed for the than a month before I went to the doctor. I have surgery and now I have a huge open wound. I have a nurse come by once a day to pack and dress the wound.

Comment from: donald, Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I had a pilonidal cyst in the middle of my crack which required surgery and a five day stay in the hospital. The wound was packed with several feet of gauze which had to be painfully removed as the wound healed from within. Lots of discomfort for about a month thereafter, particularly when sitting. It's been 22 years without a recurrence.

Must Read Articles Related to Pilonidal Cyst

Abscess
Abscess An abscess is has several causes and can appear on many parts of the body, such as the dental, vaginal, and rectal areas. In general, home remedies or cures are...learn more >>
Cellulitis
Cellulitis Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin and soft tissues that causes swelling, redness, tenderness and warmth. Treatment will involve antibiotics. Sever...learn more >>
Cyst (Cysts)
Cyst Cyst (cysts) are abnormal sac-like structures that can occur anywhere in the body. Examples of cysts include: ovarian cysts, sebaceous cyst, ganglion cyst, pilo...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pilonidal Cyst:

Pilonidal Cyst - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pilonidal cyst?

Pilonidal Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your pilonidal cyst?