Viewer Comments: Pinched Nerve - Back

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinched Nerve:

Pinched Nerve - Back

What symptoms did you experience with a pinched nerve in the back?

...
Comment from: holderre, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve in my lower back. The pain goes down my leg and ends in my feet. The pain is unbearable. My doctor prescribed me a pain medication called carbamazepine, it helps but I am wondering if there are other methods out there that can help me with this problem.

Comment from: AK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I am suffering with a pinched nerve in my lower back. I initially thought this was arthritis but after 3 x-rays my doctor confirmed it is definitely a pinched nerve. Sometimes the pain goes down my hips and knees, and sometimes leaves a numbness in my hips. I get some relief from painkillers, and not sure what other treatments may be successful.

Comment from: Pianoman, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been noticing my legs losing muscle for a while now. My primary care physician has sent me to many specialists, like rheumatologist, urologist etc. Finally he sent me to an orthopedic specialist to acupuncture my legs. He found by accident that I have a pinched nerve in my lower back but told me not to worry too much about it and see him in six months. I cannot believe his response. My lower body has been hurting me for months. I must get a second opinion. I am hoping I don't have permanent damage.

Comment from: Fabiano, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 27

I am not very active. I sit a lot in my job at a desk. I play golf twice a week in the summer and always walk pulling a golf cart. I have been doing this for 25 years. I have suffered from frozen shoulder in both my shoulders (twice in the right shoulder). I woke up in the morning with agonizing pain and went to emergency who postulated it was a pinched nerve somewhere in the right side of my neck. I can only sleep on my back with my right arm behind my neck. Any other position is painful. Sitting also causes pain and I also lift my right arm behind my head to relieve pain. Typing, using a mouse, or writing is very painful too. I am trying physiotherapy and massage. The anti-inflammatory medications and pain killers do not seem to touch the pain, but an off the shelf muscle relaxant does help to stop stiffening up.

Comment from: linde, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

About 10 years ago the doctor had said the sheath around the nerve had collapsed and would probably get worse in time. I have pain in my left hip. It is a sharp stabbing pain. I had an MRI and the discs in my lower back are very thin. My right arm and leg go numb. I have problems sleeping, walking and sitting. I have had 3 bad falls in 3 months. I see a neurologist who says weight loss and pain medications will help, but it is getting worse.

Comment from: unhappy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I have pain on my lower back right side, pain below my calf and throbbing on my toes on the right leg, because of pinched nerve. The pain on my lower calf is like I have a nail and someone is hitting it with a hammer. It also feels like it burns inside my leg. I have been taking Norco/acetaminophen and nabumetone. It helps very little. I cry and pray a lot. My back is starting to worsen, the pain is more consistent now. I can hardly walk anymore.

Comment from: janufrespect, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"m a 42 year old female. I"ve been having pinched nerve for so long, I can recall around 35 years. I was on a trip and tried to get up but couldn"t move right away. The pain across my back was excruciating. I now feel pain mostly on my left side along the back of my leg, sometimes the pain is in my neck and goes down my left arm. I"m feeling pain in my pelvis and if I hold my stomach in, the pain is intense. I try stretching and it helped somewhat but the pain wouldn"t go.

Comment from: Sana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Couple of weeks back I woke up one morning and found that I could not lift a glass of water with my left hand, there was no gripping power ever since then. There is a dull throbbing pain on the side of my elbow, burning pain in my upper arm (humerus) shoulder blade and underarm, especially at night I cannot sleep because of the burning in the subdeltoid bursa.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Pinched Nerve

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Carpal tunnel syndrome is a disease of the hand characterized by numbness, tingling, pain, and weakness. The disease typically affects the thumb, index, and mid...learn more >>
Chronic Pain
Chronic Pain Chronic pain is pain that persists for a period of six months or longer, and is the result of a long-standing medical condition(s) or damage to the body. Common...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinched Nerve:

Pinched Nerve - Experience

Please share your experience with pinched nerve.

Pinched Nerve - Treatments

What treatments were effective in treating your case of a pinched nerve(s)?

Pinched Nerve - Diagnosis

How was your case of a pinched nerve diagnosed?

Pinched Nerve - Treatments

What treatments have been effective in treating a pinched nerve?

Pinched Nerve - Surgery

Please share your experience with surgery and pinched nerve. Was it successful?

Pinched Nerve - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with a pinched nerve?