Viewer Comments: Pinworms - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinworms:

Pinworms - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with pinworms?

Comment from: 7-12 Male Published: July 18

We live in HK. I took my boys to Vancouver last summer. My little one told me couple of times that "there are worms in my poop," but he has developmental delay, so I really didn't pay any attention at first because I thought he didn't know what he was saying. But one night, after he pooped, he said it again, then I took a look in the toilet and I freaked out! I saw so many white worms in the poop, and they're alive! It was really creepy and I was so scared. Later that night when my son was sleeping, I checked his bottom, saw some worms crawling out. I searched the internet and I was pretty sure what they were. So I took my boys to the clinic the next day and got the medication, I also treated the elder one and me just in case. It came back to the little one after couple of months, we used the same treatment. Now it's another summer holiday, and we're in Vancouver again, and I just found out my boy has got pinworms again! But I'm more calm now, compared the first image I saw, it's nothing now. I'm taking the boys to the doctor again tomorrow. I don't understand why this keeps happening.

Comment from: Rebecca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

My pinworm infection started with an itchy anus proceeded by itchy face, insomnia, and irritability. I have treated this a few times but it seems to come back after about three months. My doctor and I are both bewildered by this. I seem to be highly resistant to medication for it.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

One night before bed my 4 year old daughter jumped up telling me "there's a tickle in my bottom!" She had never said that before. She asked me to look and I saw a little white worm. I took it out and put it between tape. I was freaked out! I was surprised to find out how common pin worms are. Still didn't make me feel any less worried or sickened. We continue to clean everything and treat her with medications to be sure.

Comment from: Miedo, Female (Patient) Published: February 25

In the weeks previous to diagnosis, I experienced anal itching off and on. Then it became noticeable that it was always at night around 9 p.m. and quite severe. It was accompanied by a "tickling" or a feeling that "something was moving" in the rectal area. As it worsened, I became panicky and fearful about that time every evening. Finally, on a Sunday, I called my health care provider and she prescribed Mebendazole 100 mg. I was to take one the first day, one in one week and one the week after that. I took the first one, thought I felt better, then two days later I was sure I felt it again, though less severe. I went ahead and took another tablet. Things lessened, but two days later I became sure I was feeling it again. I am possibly going to take another tablet. I think one of the worst things about this is psychologically I feel fearful, dirty, anxious and powerless. I have seen enough pictures of what they look like to really "creep me out." What makes it even worse is that I am a health care professional and never even dreamed I could pick this up. I feel this is devastating me, at least for now. I feel like crying and I am not sure if I really feel it now or am just imagining it. I have looked with a mirror and cannot see what I think I feel....To tell you the truth I am scared.

Related Reading: Mebendazole

Must Read Articles Related to Pinworms

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinworms:

Pinworms In Adults - Experience

What medications or remedies were helpful with treating your pinworms?

Pinworms - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting pinworms?

Pinworms - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pinworms?