Viewer Comments: Pinworms - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinworms:

Pinworms - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with pinworms?

Comment from: pinwormkiller, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Last week I started to feel this itchy sensation in my rectal area, and I assumed it was just because I possibly did not wipe myself well. But then it was not going away and it somewhat started to be painful. I never experienced this before. But still I shrugged it off like I did the first time. Then one night I went to the bathroom and scratched my rectum and I found one under my nail! I was horrified. As soon as I could I disposed of the wretched thing. I told a close friend. Then the next day I sought medical attention and had pinworms.

Comment from: mew, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

It started with a sore bottom and got worse with itch redness, and skin breakdown. Then they traveled toward the vaginal area, where urination was painful and itching continued.

Comment from: Kk, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Itchy down there. Some came out in the bathroom, little white wriggly things.

Comment from: Sapfire, 13-18 (Patient) Published: April 30

I had them as a child. Now I have them again!

Comment from: tickle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

Two months ago, my daughters had pinworms. I didn't have any symptoms until after a doctor confirmed that my daughters had them. A few days later, I felt a tickle in my rectum like something moving. I had had pinworms once or twice when I was a child and remembered what it felt like, so I instantly rushed to the bathroom to see if I was correct or just being paranoid since my daughters had them. I found 2 worms. I got them out and never had any symptoms again. I still checked my bowel movements in the toilet every time afterwards for quite a while but never saw anything so I thought that maybe I had just stopped the worms just as it was beginning and now they were gone. I never did research online about it. A few days ago, I randomly felt a tickle again. I ran to the bathroom again and got another worm out using a mirror. Disgusting, I know, but I'd rather get it out! Yuck! So I assume that I have had them this whole time and definitely will be getting OTC medication. Now that I think back the last 2 months, I have been having bowel movements much more often. I have one every day or two whereas typically I only have a bowel movement once or twice a week. Each time I felt the tickle, it was after a bowel movement. I never saw worms in the toilet though and I never have a tickle or itching at night or any other time.

Comment from: norma, 65-74 Female Published: January 19

My children got them when they were young from a stray cat that they put on the bed. Our whole family got them and was treated. Now they say that they weren't caused from animals.

Comment from: craig, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I had this when I was a kid. I remember the seeing the worms and being amazed but they must have gone away because I never told my parents about them. Now thirty-nine years later, here they come again driving me crazy at night.

Comment from: Richard, 75 or over Male Published: December 05

I have had pin worms off and on since childhood. Now I am 87. Again I have them so will take action to purge them out once again. The itch is very noticeable.

Comment from: Grandma, 3-6 (Caregiver) Published: December 05

All my grandkids ages 4, 5, and 6 have itching bottoms. Also red spots, like a rash on their bottoms.

Comment from: little one, 3-6 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

With pinworms, I had itchy privates and pain at night.

When I had pinworms, I had an extremely itchy anus, mostly at night. That didn't go away or ease up! I have no idea HOW I contacted them as there are no children present here. Pin- X helps.

Must Read Articles Related to Pinworms

Anal Itching
Anal Itching Anal itching is a common problem experienced by both men and women. Examples of causes of anal itching include irritants such as perfumes, chemicals, or dyes in...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pinworms:

Pinworms - Treatments

What was the treatment for your pinworms?

Pinworms In Adults - Experience

What medications or remedies were helpful with treating your pinworms?

Pinworms - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting pinworms?