Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Comment from: pdf6161, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I and two of my children have had plantar warts which we soaked in apple cider vinegar. After numerous soakings, they turned black and fell out. The vinegar treatment was pain-free and seems to have been effective. The children have not had a recurrence; it's been 6 months to a year; mine fell out this week. My son was 6, my daughter 11.

Comment from: skaiton, 45-54 Female Published: April 28

I have had a cluster of warts on bottom of foot and went today to have frozen off. It was very painful, also small wart on tip of finger also frozen. I hope this works. My sister used medicated bandages from nail salon for her warts on hands. She used them for two weeks. Her wart they became red and fell off, have not come back at all. Maybe I'll try them next!

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I had 1 large plantar wart as a teen, had it surgically removed, off my feet for a week, it healed, never to return for approx. 35 years. It's back with a lot more all on that same foot. I had laser surgery, which was the worst mistake in my life. Seven weeks after surgery they were all back, but double the warts. My foot is a mess.

Comment from: carol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have a plantar wart or warts on the ball of my foot -- it has been treated by my family doctor, a foot care nurse and a podiatrist. The podiatrist has scraped and cut, used acid and laser and the darned thing keeps coming back. This article was helpful I'm going to try some of the solutions suggested -- such as duct tape.

Comment from: Female Published: April 01

When I was around 10 years old I had a plantar wart on my heel. My mother took me to our doctor who put a ring of petroleum jelly around it and dropped acid in the middle and stuck round toothpick in it and twirled it around. It hurt more than childbirth, but the wart went away.

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have found using little squares of banana skin (white side down on wart) and taping as if using chemical wart remover is good. Some old relatives told me about this and it works. There seems to be a local anesthetic in the skins because as soon as you start using them the pain seems to ease .I thought it might just have been the taping that did it but have tried other things (including wart lotion)and have not have same effect.

Comment from: plantarh8er, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 21

My son is only 5 and has a plantar wart on the bottom of his little foot. I have tried the duct tape which doesn't stick to his 'busy boy' feet. It is starting to cause him some discomfort. The comments I have read here are helpful, but now I am very scared. I don't want him to have a quarter-sized hole in his foot or pain, he is way too active for that!

Comment from: Motherof4, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had a plantar wart for almost 6 years now. I started with the family doctor and he used salicylic acid and he was digging at it (at least 3 months). Next, I saw a podiatrist who cut on it and treated with stronger salicylic acid every 2 weeks. Said it was gone but came back within a few months. Decided to try a dermatologist and he chose to freeze the thing 4 times over a 3-4 month period. It did go away and he said he cured me! He gave me lotion to apply if it started to come back. Well it did and before I knew it, it was out of control again. I switched family doctors because we moved and he sent me to another podiatrist who used a laser on the wart and then had to laser it again because it came back immediately. It was very deep he said and he had trouble getting it all. The second time it did go away but only for maybe a month and when it came back it is now 3 times bigger. It is about the size of a quarter now on the ball of my foot and very painful! I have spent over $2500 out of pocket in co-pays and medicine now for the plantar wart!! For the past 6-8 weeks I have been scraping the thing off and applying vinegar to a small piece of cotton and putting it on the wart and covering with duct tape. It is very painful when I scrape too much but it is making progress. My sister dug for about an hour last week and it was painful but looking better. I am now soaking it and scraping it and applying tea tree oil to it. I might be able to keep it under control and less painful with this maintenance is what I am thinking at this point. It is cheaper than going to doctor at $30 an appointment. They can't seem to get the job done for me permanently!

Comment from: frustrated, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

After reading all the disappointing stories about plantar warts, I am bummed at how nothing is helping any of you with this problem. My 11-year-old has one on her heal, maybe the size of a quarter. Just started with the Compound W and taping it up at with duct tape. Hoping it works for her. I am going to bring her soon to a dermatologist to check it out, treat it and let's hope for the best. Awfully big pain in the you-know-what, never mind her poor foot. FRUSTRATING!!!!

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your plantar warts?