Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Comment from: mark, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 18

I have been treating my 8 year-old for the last two months with medicated discs from a wart removal system, containing 40% salicylic acid. She didn't like rubbing the pumice stone to get rid of skin, but would let the local doctor cut layers off. We tried freezing and burning and they didn't work. Once pads are on then we place air tight tape over the warts to keep air and light out, this seems to have worked, as we can see a tiny hole where the root was. I'm taking her to the doctor again soon, and I hope it's good news.

Comment from: gin gin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Plantar warts: I had a large one, which was quite painful. I used the medicated pads faithfully for weeks it finally came out. It was like a cork underneath. The relief was pretty immediate although my foot was sensitive. From then on, I stopped wearing heels and hard-soled shoes and nearly quit wearing non-cotton socks. I've never had another plantar warts and it's been 20 years. Now treating one for my 10-year-old.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I never had a wart in my life, I moved to a colder climate and within the first year I got my first wart. I had to have my warts "cut out" by a podiatrist. It was been 6 years now and the warts will not go away. I am always in pain from my warts, either the pain of having them or the pain of having them removed. I am now seeing a dermatologist who is trying to treat the virus, it has been 8 months, no luck and 2 more have just appeared. I don't know what to try next.

Comment from: moosecat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I've had a large plantar wart on the outer ball of my foot (towards the pinky toe side) for over a year. I have been treating it myself by shaving it with a special shallow shaver made especially for that purpose, but it is still there and may, in fact, be getting bigger. It has become very painful lately, even when I'm reclining, so I'm afraid it may now be infected. I'm going to try the commercial remedies next, as well as (finally) think about seeing a podiatrist. I will add that this article (and its live embedded links) is the most complete and helpful article I've yet found.

Comment from: ouch, Published: June 24

I got my plantar warts when I was about 11 and recently had laser surgery to remove it. It was very painful for about 2 weeks and I could not put pressure on it for about a month. They went very deep and wide, but it was a big wart. It healed and cleared up and I had no pain at all! But within 7-9 months it came back, full force and it seems it is much more sensitive and painful. I am looking into more options. I think if I would not have waited so long to have it done, it would have worked, but I was young and it didn't bother me too much till I became older. Hope whatever you decide works!

Comment from: maga, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

I had an electrodessication procedure for a wart that was very deep. It's been almost two weeks and my foot is still too painful to put weight on it. I can't golf or do yard work. I didn't realize this would be disabling for so long.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

Excellent - simple, well laid out. This provides a bit more information than other sites, but without causing alarm unduly.

Comment from: Jules, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I had a plantar wart on my left foot just under the second toe. It got so bad that I could not put my foot down completely to walk. After many types of treatment, the doctor decided that radiation was the only method that would work. The wart had grown so much and spiraled downward that it interfered with my walking, thus the quicker method. After approximately 6 weeks, the wart came out as a cone of flesh and I have never had another problem.

Comment from: flatulance, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 03

I had one when I was around 13 or 14. It was about the size of a pencil eraser about an inch below my big toe on the ball of my foot. Took care of it with ice, lydocane, a dremmel tool, and some needle nose plyers. Drill around it with a circular saw attachment then grab it with the plyers. Sometimes they squeal in protest at this point and there will be a lot of blood. I sold mine to a Chinese merchant who deals them on the black market for use in soup.

Comment from: mullenstu, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

Many years ago, as a teenager, I had clusters covering the bottom of my feet and up between the toes. A podiatrist successfully burned them off with an electric needle. About 25 years later, I developed one more. A dermatologist placed a drop of blister beetle extract on it. The skin blistered, raising the wart up with it. When the skin fell off, the wart fell off with it. I've had no warts since.

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What was the effective treatment for your plantar warts?