Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your plantar warts?

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: September 12

I had plantar warts for 3+ years. Ultimately, what worked for me was bleomycin, which was administered by a dermatologist with years of experience. All of the OTC treatments did nothing for me. I would encourage anyone who has yet to try this treatment, seek out a doctor who knows how to properly administer bleomycin.

Comment from: Chewygirl1954, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Back in the mid-1960s had a plantar wart on the ball of my foot. My mother took me the doctor and he dug it out if I remember correctly, it took about 3 or 4 times to get out. I hope things have improved since then.

Comment from: Kenra, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My husband had plantar wart for 15 years and tried everything. He started taking the enzymes Zymessence for another condition and the warts started drying up and in a few weeks they were gone and haven't returned. There is a PILL you can take for these. Cutting or scraping the wart is only treating the symptom. The enzymes KILLED the virus which is the real issue.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had plantar warts on the balls of both feet 23 years ago. I lived with them until the pain was so bad I could barely walk. Went to a podiatrist who worked on them for two years and tried everything -- acid, lazer, freezing. He said because I had waited so long, the roots had wrapped themselves around the bone. He was ready to do surgery before I left for Paris for the summer. Miraculously, they disappeared on their own and never returned until now.

Comment from: Gracieham, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I've had a plantar wart on the side of my middle finger for as long as I can remember. I'm 18 and never cared to get rid of it. I just got athlete's foot as well from my shower that I share with my brother because he as well has athlete's foot. So I got put on lotrimin spray to cure my foot. It's actually more curing my wart rather than my foot.

Comment from: Tropical lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I live in a tropical climate and have had my first wart lasered. I was instructed to use antiperspirant on my soles and sides of my feet daily and wear cotton socks with athletic shoes. After a couple of years being free, I slacked off the regimen. Now the warts are back. I have about five on each foot. The podiatrist has given me a little acid to place tiny amount on the wart n cover with bandage tape. I must repeat the acid until the wart is gone. I will return to him for laser treatment if I cannot handle this at home. It embarrasses me and my massage therapist dumped me. She is afraid I might spread them. I don't blame her. I wish I had never gotten this virus.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I tried three courses of OTC treatments for about three months, with the plantar warts recurring every time. My massage therapist suggested Essence of Oregano oil. I applied one small drop to each of my two sites, twice a day. I then used adhesive bandages after covering each drop with a small piece of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap kept the oil on my skin and not soaked up by the bandage. My plantar warts were gone in three weeks or so. It looked like they "suffocated." The burning sensation and pain are gone.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had many warts (about 20) covering both hands for a period of a couple years. They were treated with cryotherapy which did not remove them. The doctor decided to cut them out. I was given a needle in and around the wart to numb it. Then he cut them out. Recovery was a little painful but the warts went away. I then proceeded to get warts on other parts of body, like the scalp, the knee, .and my lip. He removed everyone by numbing and cutting them off and it worked....for about five years. Then I got a plantar wart on my heel. This was treated with acid for a couple of weeks but I kept on getting more! Within a month I had 14 plantar warts on two feet! I chose to have laser surgery. It was painless and quick recovery. Three days of healing and I have never had a wart since!!

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I've had a plantar wart for 4-5 years now. I did not think much of it till it became very painful to walk on. It's on my baby toe on the side. I've tried the acid the doctor told me to use and nothing. It made the pain worse. Now we're trying the freezing and cutting it down, I hope this works because it is a painful procedure to have done.

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your plantar warts?