Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What was the effective treatment for your plantar warts?

Comment from: Gracieham, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I've had a plantar wart on the side of my middle finger for as long as I can remember. I'm 18 and never cared to get rid of it. I just got athlete's foot as well from my shower that I share with my brother because he as well has athlete's foot. So I got put on lotrimin spray to cure my foot. It's actually more curing my wart rather than my foot.

Comment from: Tropical lady, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I live in a tropical climate and have had my first wart lasered. I was instructed to use antiperspirant on my soles and sides of my feet daily and wear cotton socks with athletic shoes. After a couple of years being free, I slacked off the regimen. Now the warts are back. I have about five on each foot. The podiatrist has given me a little acid to place tiny amount on the wart n cover with bandage tape. I must repeat the acid until the wart is gone. I will return to him for laser treatment if I cannot handle this at home. It embarrasses me and my massage therapist dumped me. She is afraid I might spread them. I don't blame her. I wish I had never gotten this virus.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I tried three courses of OTC treatments for about three months, with the plantar warts recurring every time. My massage therapist suggested Essence of Oregano oil. I applied one small drop to each of my two sites, twice a day. I then used adhesive bandages after covering each drop with a small piece of plastic wrap. The plastic wrap kept the oil on my skin and not soaked up by the bandage. My plantar warts were gone in three weeks or so. It looked like they "suffocated." The burning sensation and pain are gone.

Comment from: Melissa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I had many warts (about 20) covering both hands for a period of a couple years. They were treated with cryotherapy which did not remove them. The doctor decided to cut them out. I was given a needle in and around the wart to numb it. Then he cut them out. Recovery was a little painful but the warts went away. I then proceeded to get warts on other parts of body, like the scalp, the knee, .and my lip. He removed everyone by numbing and cutting them off and it worked....for about five years. Then I got a plantar wart on my heel. This was treated with acid for a couple of weeks but I kept on getting more! Within a month I had 14 plantar warts on two feet! I chose to have laser surgery. It was painless and quick recovery. Three days of healing and I have never had a wart since!!

Comment from: Holly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 13

I've had a plantar wart for 4-5 years now. I did not think much of it till it became very painful to walk on. It's on my baby toe on the side. I've tried the acid the doctor told me to use and nothing. It made the pain worse. Now we're trying the freezing and cutting it down, I hope this works because it is a painful procedure to have done.

Comment from: Wanda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I have my first plantar warts on the bottom of my foot. This is first time I've had this and I'm 45. I have been to the doctor several times to treat. He said the initial one is now gone but now I have four more that have shown up. I can't afford to keep visiting the doc every 10 days. I read the other posts and will try the tape to see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment from: Redndal, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

After fighting my plantar wart for three years with numerous trips to the doctor, I used duct tape and it worked.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had noticed a little dot that was clear on the inside of it and I didn't say anything I had noticed another one. I made an appointment for the doctor and they said to go to a foot surgeon. In that while another one appeared. I just went and got them cut out. It doesn't hurt too badly, but I hope they don't come back.

My 7 year old had a pencil-eraser-sized wart on the sole of her foot for several months. One day she sprained her ankle, which had to be X-rayed. The next day, the wart, which was on the injured foot, had disappeared.

Comment from: Old Wise Tales, 55-64 Female Published: September 13

I had a plantar wart on the bottom of my big toe 30+ years ago. I tried Compound W, which did not work. I went to a podiatrist, who put this black stuff on it, which didn't work. Then someone I worked with told me to put adhesive tape on it every morning after showering. I would change the tape which took the dead stuff off each day about a week or so. Then I pulled the tape off and I had nice new pink skin. It WORKED!!

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your plantar warts?

From WebMD