Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What treatment was effective for your plantar warts?

Comment from: mk, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

Over the counter stuff, freezing, tape, etc., all did not work for my plantar warts on the bottom of my toes after several months of self-treatment. I started regular visits to the podiatrist every 4 weeks. He would shave off a little bit of the thick dead skin and then add cantharidin to create a blister. It was painful for a few days afterwards. After about 6 treatments I have been wart-free for several years now.

Comment from: Mics, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 21

I had big plantar warts for 2 or 3 years a few years back. The underarm and foot deodorant powder I used, Milcu (potash alum, hydrated magnesium silicate) helped remove the wart. I wasn't sure if it was the reason at first but when my sister, who got infected with warts used it too, her warts disappeared as well. It hasn't returned for both of us since. It took a few months to disappear.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

My Mom Has had planters warts on both feet for about 10 years now, every year it got worse. She decided after the 3rd year to go and see a doctor, he said he must cut away the warts under her feet. He did more damage than ever, he cut away most of her tissue under her feet but did not succeed in cutting out the planters warts, She has been in extreme pain ever since. The Doctor said that there is nothing he can do, because there is no more tissue to cut (it's down to the bone).

Comment from: frogprince, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I have had a wart on the proximal part of my right index finger for several months now. I have tried every "over the counter" treatment unsuccessfully. Yesterday, with my regular doctor appointment the nurse practitioner treated the same wart with freezing and 40% Salicylic acid, then covered the area with a band aid type dressing. Upon removing the dressing today, the whole area looks like a small volcano with a large blister-like fluid filled area underneath the wart. This looks bad to me and also to my wife, who is a nurse. I think I should drain the fluid, but my wife thinks not.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I am 49 and years ago had my first on foot. Doctor removed it only to come back 4 more times. They stayed away for a long time. They are back, at least 20 on foot and 1 on thumb (guess they do spread by touch), but they are not like erasers and don't hurt to walk on; otherwise would get doc to remove. I try to wear cotton socks, keeping foot dry. Have tried over the counter stuff - doesn't work. Keeping the foot callus-less by using "sanding block" seems to help. Also put Epson salt in shoe with no socks - that helped dry it out. I will now try vinegar as well as continuing to "sand" and use salt.

Comment from: Tina, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

For the past three weeks, Ii have been experiencing this pain at my feet, just under my big toe when I'm walking or standing. I thought it was only a blister or callus but it's so hard and it has like a hole in the middle. I could not tolerate the pain anymore, so I consulted a dermatologist. He said its plantar wart and that he needs to remove it using electrocautery. The procedure is a bit painful even though he injected local anesthesia at my foot. He scraped the wart up to its root. The wart grew that big and it rooted so deep at my feet. Right now I'm using fucinid cream, which is an antibacterial topical medicine. I also use Cetaphil soap to kill the rest of the virus that exists on my skin.

Comment from: ami....., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have a plantar wart. I tried using salicylic acid with no improvement.

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

After suffering for years, using various treatments, I started using Vicks Vaporub and putting a bandage over it daily. Within less than a month, the wart was gone and I had no pain. The wart has not returned in the six months since it disappeared.

Comment from: wrm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 45 and had a plantar wart on the palm of my hand when I was 15. My family doctor froze the wart a few times and I was able to twist it out, leaving a scar. Now I have a plantar on the outside of my foot just below the heel and it is extremely painful to the touch and to walk on. I am freezing, clipping, pumas stoning, acid, pads and taping it. If that doesn't work there's always self amputation.

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your plantar warts?