Viewer Comments: Plantar Warts - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Treatment

What was the effective treatment for your plantar warts?

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 14

My Mom Has had planters warts on both feet for about 10 years now, every year it got worse. She decided after the 3rd year to go and see a doctor, he said he must cut away the warts under her feet. He did more damage than ever, he cut away most of her tissue under her feet but did not succeed in cutting out the planters warts, She has been in extreme pain ever since. The Doctor said that there is nothing he can do, because there is no more tissue to cut (it's down to the bone).

Comment from: frogprince, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I have had a wart on the proximal part of my right index finger for several months now. I have tried every "over the counter" treatment unsuccessfully. Yesterday, with my regular doctor appointment the nurse practitioner treated the same wart with freezing and 40% Salicylic acid, then covered the area with a band aid type dressing. Upon removing the dressing today, the whole area looks like a small volcano with a large blister-like fluid filled area underneath the wart. This looks bad to me and also to my wife, who is a nurse. I think I should drain the fluid, but my wife thinks not.

Comment from: John, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 03

I am 49 and years ago had my first on foot. Doctor removed it only to come back 4 more times. They stayed away for a long time. They are back, at least 20 on foot and 1 on thumb (guess they do spread by touch), but they are not like erasers and don't hurt to walk on; otherwise would get doc to remove. I try to wear cotton socks, keeping foot dry. Have tried over the counter stuff - doesn't work. Keeping the foot callus-less by using "sanding block" seems to help. Also put Epson salt in shoe with no socks - that helped dry it out. I will now try vinegar as well as continuing to "sand" and use salt.

Comment from: ami....., 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I have a plantar wart. I tried using salicylic acid with no improvement.

Comment from: Joy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

After suffering for years, using various treatments, I started using Vicks Vaporub and putting a bandage over it daily. Within less than a month, the wart was gone and I had no pain. The wart has not returned in the six months since it disappeared.

Comment from: wrm, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 21

I am 45 and had a plantar wart on the palm of my hand when I was 15. My family doctor froze the wart a few times and I was able to twist it out, leaving a scar. Now I have a plantar on the outside of my foot just below the heel and it is extremely painful to the touch and to walk on. I am freezing, clipping, pumas stoning, acid, pads and taping it. If that doesn't work there's always self amputation.

Comment from: 35-44 Male Published: September 12

I had plantar warts for 3+ years. Ultimately, what worked for me was bleomycin, which was administered by a dermatologist with years of experience. All of the OTC treatments did nothing for me. I would encourage anyone who has yet to try this treatment, seek out a doctor who knows how to properly administer bleomycin.

Comment from: Chewygirl1954, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Back in the mid-1960s had a plantar wart on the ball of my foot. My mother took me the doctor and he dug it out if I remember correctly, it took about 3 or 4 times to get out. I hope things have improved since then.

Comment from: Kenra, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My husband had plantar wart for 15 years and tried everything. He started taking the enzymes Zymessence for another condition and the warts started drying up and in a few weeks they were gone and haven't returned. There is a PILL you can take for these. Cutting or scraping the wart is only treating the symptom. The enzymes KILLED the virus which is the real issue.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I had plantar warts on the balls of both feet 23 years ago. I lived with them until the pain was so bad I could barely walk. Went to a podiatrist who worked on them for two years and tried everything -- acid, lazer, freezing. He said because I had waited so long, the roots had wrapped themselves around the bone. He was ready to do surgery before I left for Paris for the summer. Miraculously, they disappeared on their own and never returned until now.

Must Read Articles Related to Plantar Warts

Corns and Calluses
Corns and Calluses A callus (tyloma) is an area of skin that thickens after exposure to repetitive forces in order to protect the skin. A callus may not be painful. A corn is a ca...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>
Warts
Warts Warts are small harmless tumors of the skin caused by a virus called the human papillomavirus. The three most common types of nongenital warts include common wa...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Plantar Warts:

Plantar Warts - Experience

What was your experience with plantar warts?

Plantar Warts - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your plantar warts?