Viewer Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Comment from: Sunnygal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I got my flu shot at the end of November, and roughly two weeks later, an interpreter showed up with a very bad cold. That happened right around finals, and I became very sick a couple of days later. I think I got the flu, because it felt like a severe cold. I was sick off and on since then, and I woke up Wednesday morning feeling like everything I breathed was cold, dry air, and I was hugging the walls. I also had a fever off and on, and I had chest pain. I went to the emergency room that evening, and I got admitted to the hospital to rule out heart problems. Due to my age (60), the doctors wanted to make sure I did not have heart problems. My primary care doctor suspected I had pleurisy because my heart tests had been normal. While she was visiting me, I coughed up blood. I was in the hospital for two days. I did not get antibiotics, because she thinks it is a viral infection.

Comment from: TinaHerbs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I woke up this morning around 5.30 am and about 45 minutes later, I suddenly had a sharp stabbing pain on my left chest area. I thought I was having a heart attack as the pain was unreal. I was relieved that it turned out to be pleurisy, rather than a heart attack, but the pain is almost intolerable.

Comment from: MimiAmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My first symptom of pleurisy was a burning pain in my left shoulder and, at the same time, a severe pain down the left side of my chest. I felt a slight inability to breathe deeply, but not severe. When I finally felt that this might be a heart attack and went to the doctor (after 2 days) I was told that I had a severe case of pneumonia and pleurisy. I was not hospitalized, but treated at home with an antibiotic, the generic for Levaquin, pain medication, liquids and a lot of rest. I am still recovering as I write this.

Comment from: ssaunders91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I got pleurisy for the first time when I was 21. I'm not a cigarette smoker. At first I got a really sharp pain on my left shoulder and breast bone. I thought I had just pulled a muscle or strained it since I work out regularly. I waited it out a few days and the pain got worse. I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they gave me Dilaudid, the pain was that bad. I think having it once made me more susceptible to getting it again because I'm feeling the same symptoms. Just hard to tell with me because it might be a pulled muscle.

Comment from: Danielle, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I'm 19 years old, I used to get sharp pains in my left breast every now and again but since a few weeks ago they have got worse. I am nearly half afraid to take a deep breath because of the pain. I also sometimes get it in my left shoulder and down my back. I got the sharp pain yesterday and I couldn't take a deep breath as it was hurting and then all of a sudden the pain went through my left and it felt all fuzzy, and then it went. I am not sure what it is as I haven't gone to the doctors yet. I am worried that it could be pleurisy.

Comment from: janeek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have had sudden pains in my back that is making it hard for me to breathe, work or even lie down. I don't know what to do with myself but it sound like pleurisy so I need to go to the doctor before it gets worse. I'm glad I read this page.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I got pleurisy after a flu shot two years in a row, with swelling in the arm that received the inoculation. The pleurisy was on the same side as the injection as well. My doctor said no more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Asdfg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a nasty sore throat and viral infection about two weeks ago. All of a sudden I had a seriously horrible pain under my left shoulder blade that radiated around the side and inflamed the entire left side of my chest. I thought it was muscular and that it would pass. One day after work the pain was so intense that I couldn't catch my breath. I freaked out and went to the hospital. They did an X-ray, CT, and blood work. I was given an IV and had morphine. The drugs dulled the pain. SI was sent home with the diagnosis of pleurisy and a prescription of Vicodin and naproxen. I was told it was the virus I had and that it had settled in my chest.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?