Viewer Comments: Pleurisy - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Comment from: TinaHerbs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I woke up this morning around 5.30 am and about 45 minutes later, I suddenly had a sharp stabbing pain on my left chest area. I thought I was having a heart attack as the pain was unreal. I was relieved that it turned out to be pleurisy, rather than a heart attack, but the pain is almost intolerable.

Comment from: MimiAmy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My first symptom of pleurisy was a burning pain in my left shoulder and, at the same time, a severe pain down the left side of my chest. I felt a slight inability to breathe deeply, but not severe. When I finally felt that this might be a heart attack and went to the doctor (after 2 days) I was told that I had a severe case of pneumonia and pleurisy. I was not hospitalized, but treated at home with an antibiotic, the generic for Levaquin, pain medication, liquids and a lot of rest. I am still recovering as I write this.

Comment from: ssaunders91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I got pleurisy for the first time when I was 21. I'm not a cigarette smoker. At first I got a really sharp pain on my left shoulder and breast bone. I thought I had just pulled a muscle or strained it since I work out regularly. I waited it out a few days and the pain got worse. I literally thought I was having a heart attack. I went to the emergency room and they gave me Dilaudid, the pain was that bad. I think having it once made me more susceptible to getting it again because I'm feeling the same symptoms. Just hard to tell with me because it might be a pulled muscle.

Comment from: Danielle, Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I'm 19 years old, I used to get sharp pains in my left breast every now and again but since a few weeks ago they have got worse. I am nearly half afraid to take a deep breath because of the pain. I also sometimes get it in my left shoulder and down my back. I got the sharp pain yesterday and I couldn't take a deep breath as it was hurting and then all of a sudden the pain went through my left and it felt all fuzzy, and then it went. I am not sure what it is as I haven't gone to the doctors yet. I am worried that it could be pleurisy.

Comment from: janeek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 27

I have had sudden pains in my back that is making it hard for me to breathe, work or even lie down. I don't know what to do with myself but it sound like pleurisy so I need to go to the doctor before it gets worse. I'm glad I read this page.

Comment from: Happy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I got pleurisy after a flu shot two years in a row, with swelling in the arm that received the inoculation. The pleurisy was on the same side as the injection as well. My doctor said no more flu shots for me.

Comment from: Asdfg, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a nasty sore throat and viral infection about two weeks ago. All of a sudden I had a seriously horrible pain under my left shoulder blade that radiated around the side and inflamed the entire left side of my chest. I thought it was muscular and that it would pass. One day after work the pain was so intense that I couldn't catch my breath. I freaked out and went to the hospital. They did an X-ray, CT, and blood work. I was given an IV and had morphine. The drugs dulled the pain. SI was sent home with the diagnosis of pleurisy and a prescription of Vicodin and naproxen. I was told it was the virus I had and that it had settled in my chest.

Comment from: Pang, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I was diagnosed with pleurisy after more than a week of pain. It was first said I was having spasms in the chest area. After I was not getting better, I ended up doubled over in pain in a store where I was transported by ambulance to the ER. After tests were run I was then diagnosed with pleurisy.

Comment from: Lois, 65-74 (Patient) Published: January 07

Yikes! This hurts! I started to hurt across my breast bone, and just a tiny bit to my left. I don't hurt when I breathe in very much, but moving or twisting my neck or back or bending over is terrible. Sitting very still for a while helps, but as soon as I try to get up, wow!

Comment from: bloody1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

I had a sharp, stabbing pain in the right chest that woke me up.

Comment from: sickofbeingsick, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I got sick with bronchitis. I developed a sharp pain in my right side with coughing and, sneezing about a month into my cold symptoms. I have now had this constant right-sided pain for 13 days and I went to see my doctor 10 days ago. He diagnosed me with pleurisy and I was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic. I've finished the antibiotic and my symptoms are still just as severe.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?