Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I woke up on Monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10 am. I started to get sharp pains in my back; I knew what it was straight away as I've had pleurisy 3 times already this year. I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so I didn't think anything of it but when this pain hit me I knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as I was in agony, so when I called the doctors again and I spoke to her she said she doesn't know why I've got this as pleurisy does not reoccur.

Comment from: sharp pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I suffered with a sharp stabbing pain when breathing, coughing, bending down or lying down, on the right side of my upper chest for 3 days before I finally went to the ER. After listening to my chest, ECG, running blood tests to rule out a blood clot in my lung, the Dr. diagnosed it as pleurisy. He explained that it was likely viral as I don't have a fever so he prescribed 375 mg of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Tylenol 3 for the pain. He told me not to go to work for a few days and take it easy. Let's see hopefully I will be able to get some rest tonight. This is the worst chest pain I have ever experienced in my life and I was worried that it might have been a mild heart attack!

Comment from: Sir T, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I am a male adult who has had severe right side chest pain. I have had many tests done which have shown nothing. The doctor ordered CT pulmonary angiogram, CT scan of the biliary tree, abdomen, hepatitis screening, chest x-ray and liver function test, and all seem to be fine. The pain is excruciating and radiating to the back but more on the area slightly above the rib cage on my right side chest. It's been 2 years now and the pain is on and off!

Comment from: Rae, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had bronchitis that took about a month to get over. I started coughing again, so I rested and tried to get over it on my own. I didn't work so I went to urgent care and the doctor said it was pleurisy, and to to rest and take Tylenol. I ended up going to the hospital as I thought I was having a heart attack or a collapsed lung. That doctor said I had pneumonia and pleurisy so he gave me antibiotics.

Comment from: bloody1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

So far, I have gotten two rounds of antibiotics. I saw a critical care doctor who told me that I survived a massive saddle clot!

Comment from: sHELBYGIRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was diagnosed with COPD. I never smoked.

Comment from: Syl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I experienced chest pain all day radiating into my left arm. I went to the E.R. and I was diagnosed with pleurisy after an X-ray, EKG, and blood work. I was given medication for pain.

Comment from: mikepres, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm 22, male. I had pneumonia. I took my meds and I was better in about three days. Last night, I went to work and I was working, my chest was hurting so bad I couldn't breathe or even walk. I thought I was having a heart attack! It worst pain of my life! The doctor said I had fluids and infection in my lungs. Pleurisy is what he called it. He gave me steroids, naproxen, and methylprednisolone. I'm feeling a lot better now!

Comment from: CherokeeRaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I started to have sharp chest pains one night and woke up every 2 hours. I shrugged it off as heart burn. However it wasn't any better by morning, so I went to the doctor and since I was sick the previous week with what he thought was bronchitis because of the way I described my symptoms, he was it was pleurisy and gave me a steroid shot. It has only been 12 hours, and the pain is still there! Hope it goes away soon!

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?