Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?

Comment from: tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I woke up on Monday morning perfectly ok and then about 10 am. I started to get sharp pains in my back; I knew what it was straight away as I've had pleurisy 3 times already this year. I had a slight chest infection last week but nothing that made me stay off work so I didn't think anything of it but when this pain hit me I knew it was connected. I could hardly move for the next two days as I was in agony, so when I called the doctors again and I spoke to her she said she doesn't know why I've got this as pleurisy does not reoccur.

Comment from: sharp pain, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I suffered with a sharp stabbing pain when breathing, coughing, bending down or lying down, on the right side of my upper chest for 3 days before I finally went to the ER. After listening to my chest, ECG, running blood tests to rule out a blood clot in my lung, the Dr. diagnosed it as pleurisy. He explained that it was likely viral as I don't have a fever so he prescribed 375 mg of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) and Tylenol 3 for the pain. He told me not to go to work for a few days and take it easy. Let's see hopefully I will be able to get some rest tonight. This is the worst chest pain I have ever experienced in my life and I was worried that it might have been a mild heart attack!

Related Reading: Naproxen

Comment from: bloody1, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

So far, I have gotten two rounds of antibiotics. I saw a critical care doctor who told me that I survived a massive saddle clot!

Comment from: sHELBYGIRL, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I was diagnosed with COPD. I never smoked.

Comment from: Syl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I experienced chest pain all day radiating into my left arm. I went to the E.R. and I was diagnosed with pleurisy after an X-ray, EKG, and blood work. I was given medication for pain.

Comment from: mikepres, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I'm 22, male. I had pneumonia. I took my meds and I was better in about three days. Last night, I went to work and I was working, my chest was hurting so bad I couldn't breathe or even walk. I thought I was having a heart attack! It worst pain of my life! The doctor said I had fluids and infection in my lungs. Pleurisy is what he called it. He gave me steroids, naproxen, and methylprednisolone. I'm feeling a lot better now!

Related Reading: methylprednisolone

Comment from: CherokeeRaine, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I started to have sharp chest pains one night and woke up every 2 hours. I shrugged it off as heart burn. However it wasn't any better by morning, so I went to the doctor and since I was sick the previous week with what he thought was bronchitis because of the way I described my symptoms, he was it was pleurisy and gave me a steroid shot. It has only been 12 hours, and the pain is still there! Hope it goes away soon!

Comment from: misdiagnosed, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I had been experiencing chest pain behind my left breast and deep into my chest for two days. After work on the third day the pain became so intense I thought that I was having a heart attack. I went to the local ER and they assured me it was not my heart and attributed it to stress and sent me home with a prescription. The pain continued and a follow up with my physician confirmed that I had pleurisy along with a chronic sinus infection.

Comment from: beccas27, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I am a 31 year old female who was just diagnosed with pleurisy. I had to go to the ER. It was the worst pain I ever had, it was in my left upper abdomen near my breast bone. I could barely breathe and when I did, the pain was horrible. I was given Dilaudid in the ER and sent home with a prescription for Vicodin and Naproxen. I still feel bad. I am hoping the pain goes away soon.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?