Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Late in the work day I started to feel a stabbing pain in my chest. The pain was not severe, but I knew something was not right. That night the pain increased. I could not sleep because every other breath was painful. The deeper the breath the more pain I felt. For a few minutes I thought I could be having a minor heart attack, but the location of the pain was at the top of my rib cage, on the right hand side, just below my chest, nowhere near my heart. Early the next morning the pain had not subsided, so I went to the hospital for treatment. The only symptom I could provide the doctor was the stabbing pain during deep breaths. He took first checked for inflamed organs then ordered chest x-rays. He found a tiny area between the two linings where fluid was built up. He decided to treat it as if it was pneumonia. I was prescribed ibuprofen, anti-biotics, and pain medicine.

Comment from: Jeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was so glad to read of some other people who experienced pleurisy. My mother talked about having pleurisy when I was a youngster, but really didn't know what she meant by it. I have been having weird symptoms and didn't know what was happening to me. I have pain like an inflammatory pain in my upper chest below my neck. I also had pain in my left arm and ran to the ER only to learn I wasn't having a heart attack. Thanks for the insight from others, i hope it clears it up.

Comment from: dnurse, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

Today I was diagnosed with Pleurisy. This morning, I woke up with extreme chest pain and thought I was having a heart attack. I could not lift my arms and it felt better to stoop forward. I went to the E.R. and was sent home with prescription of Soma. I have COPD and don't smoke anymore, but just to warn people do go check it out just in case.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with pleurisy when I lived in India 18 years ago. I was told that it was due to the tuberculosis virus/bacteria and was put on an antibiotic regimen for nine months, and had to have lung X-rays done every few weeks.

Comment from: jose, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 20

My doctor told me that I had pleurisy, which developed after a bout with pneumonia.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I woke up one Monday morning at 04:00 feeling like I had been kicked in the ribs by a horse. For the next 24 hours I felt a sharp stabbing pain in my lower back and ribs. By Tuesday morning the pain had mostly subsided and was a dull throb. Thinking it might be a kidney stone I waited a few days for the pain to 'move on down'. But that never happened. Instead, every morning I woke up in agony which subsided after a few minutes upright and a Motrin. Then Friday morning I woke up feeling okay. I got into the shower and immediately started coughing up bloody sputum. I went to the local ER. After blood, urine, a chest x-ray, and two CT scans I was diagnosed with atypical pneumonia and pleurisy. I was prescribed azithromycin and painkillers. Coughing and pneumonia symptoms were gone within a few days but the pleurisy lingered for a week or so... and I got treatment early. Please if you experience these symptoms (sharp chest pain + chills + shortness of breath) do not delay treatment! Pleurisy is very often a sign of more serious illness. (Besides which, it hurts like the dickens!)

Comment from: Pauline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Reading the comments from others has very been interesting as I did not know that pleurisy often recurs. This is my 5th bout. The first was 34 years ago. Apart from the first time, I have always been in a 3rd world country and the local doctors have been prepared to accept my self-diagnosis. I take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs and it goes away in a matter of days. I am also happy not to have been living in the US as the cost of treatment has been negligible.

Published: March 23

I was having a little pain & discomfort while taking deep breaths, the next day I woke up feeling like I had been hit by a car! My upper back and chest ached and produced a sharp pain when taking a deep breath, coughing, sneezing, or even just moving. I also had chills. Finally decided to go to the ER, I had an EKG, X-ray, and blood work done, to rule out pneumonia or any other infection. Turns out it was a virus in my left lung...pleurisy. I had never heard of this condition before, but it is very painful!

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?