Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed in the ER. I thought I was having a heart attack since the pain was on the right side of my left lung. I went through all the tests to rule out a heart attack and then $1500.00 later the doctor said it was pleurisy. He sent me home with 800 mg ibuprophen and a prescription pain medicine and told me to stay in bed for 4 days. That was about 5-6 years ago. I was 31-32 years old. I did smoke for a long time but I quite when I was 29. Since then I have had Pleurisy 4 times. The 4th time is right now. With the 2-4 time I have not been sick before getting it. It just woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning. I don't have health insurance so I just take 4 200mg ibuprophen 4 times a day and rest as much as possible until the pain goes away. I was told by a friend that once you have pleurisy it never goes away. It just lies dormant in your body and you have reoccurring episodes.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

Late in the work day I started to feel a stabbing pain in my chest. The pain was not severe, but I knew something was not right. That night the pain increased. I could not sleep because every other breath was painful. The deeper the breath the more pain I felt. For a few minutes I thought I could be having a minor heart attack, but the location of the pain was at the top of my rib cage, on the right hand side, just below my chest, nowhere near my heart. Early the next morning the pain had not subsided, so I went to the hospital for treatment. The only symptom I could provide the doctor was the stabbing pain during deep breaths. He took first checked for inflamed organs then ordered chest x-rays. He found a tiny area between the two linings where fluid was built up. He decided to treat it as if it was pneumonia. I was prescribed ibuprofen, anti-biotics, and pain medicine.

Comment from: SusieQ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 29

I awoke around 3 am with an 'I'm not feeling too good' type of feeling. I wasn't quite sure if I was nauseous or not. To be safe I went off to the bathroom. Yes, I was definitely nauseous as the up chucking began and it was with great effort and pain that my body brought up what I guess were toxins due to food poisoning. I also expelled from the bowels. It was not a quick fix but the beginning of 48 hours of continuing pain deep in my center. This was all early Tuesday morning. Thinking the worse I took myself to the doctor on Wednesday because the pain was only getting worse. Physician's assistant did an EKG, which came out fine. That night I took one large aspirin 325 mg, and another before falling asleep, as the pain had increased. The aspirin kicked in and I fell asleep. Thursday morning I could take deep breaths and move freely; all the pain had left. I still have a slight sore throat, very mild and a slight cough. But I am truly relieved to have my body came through this. I can only guess that the vomit somehow triggered the pain in my chest. That the nasty virus or bacteria was set loose in my chest causing this pleurisy attack. It was intense.

Comment from: Debbie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I was diagnosed with pneumonia in October. After having a colonoscopy in September things started happening. I got pneumonia and then pleurisy. I was on antibiotics for 8 days then put on steroids for 5 1/2 months. I started feeling better and then was off the steroids. I developed blue fingers, now they say I have Raynaud's phenomenon. I feel lousy pain in left side in lung. I wish I knew exactly what I have. I did acupuncture for 2 treatments recently, and it does help some. I went to the emergency room as I thought I was having a heart attack. This is no fun. Heat does help.

Comment from: his4life, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

My husband had a spontaneous pneumothorax 19 years ago and when they did surgery they put a talc in the lung lining. Ever since he gets severe pleurisy pain occasionally. He is on codeine for pain which does take the edge off but not enough relief. We cannot find anyone who knows how to help him get any relief.

Comment from: that writer chick, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I awoke with terrible chest pains. I was so scared I went to the E.R. They diagnosed me with pleurisy and told me it would be gone in ten days. They sent me home with Vicodin and naproxen.

Comment from: Cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was diagnosed with pleurisy a few days ago. The pain and is brutal. People in recovery are human just like anybody else! I could buy pain medication on the street but I am in recovery.

Comment from: Jeanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I was so glad to read of some other people who experienced pleurisy. My mother talked about having pleurisy when I was a youngster, but really didn't know what she meant by it. I have been having weird symptoms and didn't know what was happening to me. I have pain like an inflammatory pain in my upper chest below my neck. I also had pain in my left arm and ran to the ER only to learn I wasn't having a heart attack. Thanks for the insight from others, i hope it clears it up.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?