Viewer Comments: Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your pleurisy (pleuritis) established?

Comment from: v, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Like all of the stories I've read I too am experiencing sharp stabbing pains when I breathe and feel it in my shoulder. It really hurts! I've had pleurisy every winter for the past 10 yrs. I go to the clinic where it's documented and begin to explain I know for a fact I have pleurisy I know what it feels like. The doctor gives me Tylenol and sends me on my way. I'm so pissed off and in pain. I'm a nursing student so it ticks me off more to know doctors are treating people like this. I hope I never work with him! FYI been reading up on pleurisy says that you may have an underlying disease that causes pleurisy to re-occur such has diabetes, lupus heart disease. I urge u people to stay on top of these uneducated doctors and take care I feel your pain.

Comment from: Josey, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

During an office exam, my doctor heard the noise that he described as "two pieces of leather rubbing against each other" as pleurisy. He said that only 1 in 10 people with pleurisy have this "noise" and it was fortunate that I did as it helped support his diagnosis.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I just got back from the ER to find out I have pleurisy. I thought it was panic/anxiety attacks for the last 4 weeks, so I took my Xanax, normally one would make the pain stop. Last night, the Xanax wouldn't work and I couldn't breathe, walk, or sit. It was off to the ER for 6 hours of, Chest X-rays, an EKG, and every blood test known to man. The doctor came back to say I have Pleurisy. I was prescribed 800mg Ibuprofen and another pain medicine. The doctor told me it will take a week to feel better and to just take it easy.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I had a bad cough which I thought was left over from a lung infection 2 weeks previously. Then I started getting this stabbing pain in the right hand side of my chest. I assumed it was pulled muscles from the cough. Then the pain escalated until I was almost in tears. I couldn't move without excruciating pain in my chest. My doctor was away and I didn't want to go to the hospital to sit for hours. I had some Tylenol #2's left over from some previous affliction and took those along with Motrin and ice packs. I slept sitting up in a lazy boy. Still figuring it was muscle related I went to my chiropractor. He thought it might be associated with my ribs. He did a body massage with a machine which helps for a few hours. I was still in massive pain. I asked him if I could have a lung infection and he said it was certainly possible. I finally went to my Doctor and it took him a couple of minutes to diagnose pleurisy. That was a week later and way too much pain.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pleurisy:

Pleurisy - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your pleurisy?

Pleurisy (Pleuritis) - Treatments

How was your pleurisy treated?