Poison Ivy, Oak, or Sumac (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
The rash (allergic contact dermatitis) from poison ivy, oak, or sumac typically is mild and can be treated at home. Home treatment for the rash usually helps relieve symptoms rather than speeding up the time it takes the rash to heal.
Antihistamine pills are used to relieve the symptoms of the rash from poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Prescription medicines, such as corticosteroids, may be used for severe rashes. Medicines are also used to make the rash less severe.
You may be able to use a product that dissolves urushiol, such as Tecnu or Zanfel. These products are used to wash the oil off your skin or other objects. They may reduce the severity of a reaction or prevent one.
The most common complication of poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash is a secondary infection, usually caused by scratching. When this occurs, your doctor will probably prescribe a type of topical antibiotic cream if the infection is in a small area. Otherwise, you may need systemic antibiotics, given as pills or shots.
What To Think About
The following medicines should not be used for poison ivy, oak, or sumac rash, because they can cause allergy problems of their own:
eMedicineHealth Medical Reference from Healthwise
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2012 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Find out what women really need.
Pill Identifier on RxList
- quick, easy,
Find a Local Pharmacy
- including 24 hour, pharmacies