Font Size
A
A
A
...
6
...

Poison Proofing Your Home (cont.)

Special Tips for Homes with Very Young Children

  • Keep the telephone number of the local poison control center close and readily accessible (on the refrigerator or near the telephone). The telephone number for the local poison control center can be found in the telephone book or online at the American Association of Poison Control Centers. The National Poison Control Center phone number in the U.S. is 1-800-222-1222.
  • Keep shampoos, conditioners, mouthwash, and soaps that are in the bathroom out of the reach of children. Bathroom products are often colorful and scented, making children tempted to taste a product that can be dangerous if swallowed.
  • Be aware that the deodorant disk used in many diaper pails can be very poisonous if ingested. If a diaper pail is used in the home, the lid should fit tightly to prevent accidental ingestion of the disk.
  • Keep electrical appliances unplugged and out of reach of children.
  • Do not leave a young child alone in order to answer the telephone or doorbell while using a potentially poisonous product. Unsupervised children are more likely to ingest a potentially poisonous product.
  • Teach children about poisonous substances and the dangers and consequences of ingesting poisonous substances.
  • Make sure medications are kept in child-resistant containers. Keep medications out of the reach of children. Remember that the term child-resistant does not necessarily mean childproof.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/11/2014

Must Read Articles Related to Poison Proofing Your Home

Battery Ingestion
Battery Ingestion Battery ingestion commonly occurs in children five years of age and younger, and in the elderly. Symptoms of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdomi...learn more >>

Patient Comments & Reviews

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Poison Proofing Your Home:

Poison Proofing Your Home - Experience

Have you poison-proofed your home? Why?



NIH talks about Ebola on WebMD

Read What Your Physician is Reading on Medscape

Toxicity, Lead »

Lead is a natural compound that exists in elemental, inorganic, and organic forms.

Read More on Medscape Reference »


Medical Dictionary