Poison Proofing Your Home (cont.)
What to Do When a Poisoning Occurs
- Stay calm.
- Call the poison control center in your area. In the U.S., the National Poison Control Center is 1-800-222-1222. They will connect you to the poison control center closest to your location. Be ready to provide the following information:
- The name of the product (and the product container) that was ingested
- The amount of the product that was ingested
- The time that the poisoning occurred
- The age and weight of the person who was poisoned
- Your name and telephone number
- The poison control center will explain what to do next.
- If told to go to the hospital’s emergency department, be sure to bring the product (or plant sample) in its original container. Health care practitioners are better able to administer the correct treatment when the exact cause of poisoning is known.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 9/11/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Poison Proofing Your Home
Battery ingestion commonly occurs in children five years of age and younger, and in the elderly. Symptoms of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdomi...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Poison Proofing Your Home: