Poison Proofing Your Home (cont.)
Treatment in the Emergency Department
- Temperature, pulse, and blood pressure are taken by a health care
- If the poisoning is potentially dangerous, the patient is observed
while attached to a monitor that tracks heart rate and blood pressure. An
intravenous line may be administered to deliver fluids and medication if
necessary, and blood tests may be performed.
- It may be necessary for the patient to drink activated charcoal. Activated charcoal
acts as a "super" absorber of many poisons. Once the poison is stuck to the
charcoal in the intestine, the poison cannot get absorbed into the bloodstream.
Activated charcoal has no taste, but the gritty texture sometimes causes the
person to vomit. To be effective, activated charcoal needs to be given as soon
as possible after the poisoning. It does not work with alcohol, caustics,
lithium (Lithobid), or petroleum products.
Do not give activated charcoal at
home. Allow medical personnel to decide if this treatment is appropriate.
- In rare cases, the stomach may be emptied to eliminate the poison. To empty
the stomach, a tube is inserted through the patient's nose or mouth and into the stomach. Stomach contents can then be removed through the tube
by suction (pumping the stomach).
- Some products, especially cleaners, contain acids or lyes that can cause severe internal burns. If a health care
practitioner is concerned that a product has caused internal burns, an
endoscopy may be performed. Endoscopy consists of passing a small, lighted tube, which is actually a camera, through patient's mouth and then into the throat, esophagus, and stomach to look for damage.
- The patient may be admitted to the hospital for further observation.
Must Read Articles Related to Poison Proofing Your Home
Battery ingestion commonly occurs in children five years of age and younger, and in the elderly. Symptoms of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdomi...learn more >>