Viewer Comments: PTSD - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD):

PTSD - Experience

Please describe your experience with PTSD.

Comment from: Craig, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 26

I suffered a traumatic work related event in 1994 which resulted in me losing my job, my family, my house and financial investments. I was in a state of deep shock and was unable to think rationally. I didn't receive immediate treatment for PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) as I didn't know how the incident had affected me. It was only during the following 20 years that I discovered a fear of the workplace and I had difficulty in keeping a job. Only in 2015 did I begin receiving psychological therapy but the damage is severe. There is also a link to my childhood.

Must Read Articles Related to Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

Anxiety
Anxiety Anxiety as a medical condition is characterized b...learn more >>
Grief and Bereavement
Grief and Bereavement Grief is our personal experience of loss. Mourning is a public expression of our grief. Bereavement is the period after a loss during which mourning occurs (usu...learn more >>
Nightmares
Nightmares Nightmares occur from time to time in many children, but they are most common in preschoolers (children aged 3 to 6 years) because this is the age at which norm...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD):

PTSD - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your PTSD?

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your posttraumatic stress disorder?