Postpartum Depression (cont.)
Postpartum Depression Symptoms and Signs
Signs and symptoms usually appear any time from 24 hours to a few months after delivery.
- If you have these, it is important to see a health care professional, who will look for other conditions that can cause similar symptoms.
- Sad mood, frequent crying
- Lack of pleasure or interest in activities that once gave pleasure
- Sleep disturbance
- Weight loss
- Loss of energy
- Agitation or anxiety
- Feelings of worthlessness or guilt
- Trouble concentrating or making decisions
- Thoughts of death, suicide or homicide of the baby
- Decreased interest in sex
- Feelings of rejection
- Physical symptoms such as frequent headaches, chest pain, rapid heart beat, numbness, shakiness or dizziness, and mild shortness of breath suggest anxiety. Postpartum anxiety disorder is a separate disorder from postpartum depression, but the two often occur together.
- See the introduction to this article for symptoms specific to the types of postpartum depression.
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Postpartum Depression: