Postpartum Depression (cont.)
Self-Care at Home
- Surround yourself with supportive family members and friends, and ask for their help in caring for the baby.
- Take care of yourself. Get as much rest as you can. Nap when the baby naps.
- Try not to spend much time alone.
- Spend some time alone with your husband or partner.
- Take a shower and get dressed every day.
- Get out of the house. Take a walk, see a friend, do something you enjoy. Get someone to take care of the baby if you can; if you can't, take the baby with you.
- Don't expect too much from yourself. Don't worry too much about the housework. Ask friends and family for help.
- Talk to other mothers. You can learn from each other, and their experiences can be reassuring.
- If the depression persists for longer than two weeks or is very severe, talk to your health care professional. Self-care alone is not recommended.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/24/2014
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Postpartum Depression: