Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain (cont.)
Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain Treatment
After your condition has been evaluated an a diagnosis is reached, your health care provider will formulate a treatment plan. If all acute emergencies have been completely ruled out, you may be safely sent home safely with strict instructions for follow-up care.
- You may be advised to return to the emergency department or doctor’s office if your pain worsens or persists despite basic therapy with acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- You may also be asked to modify your daily activity level and avoid positions that may worsen your symptoms.
Home Remedies for Round Ligament Pain
- Applying heat to the area may relieve pain:
- Hot soaks or baths
- Lying on the opposite side may also relieve the pain.
- Frequently, the pain may diminish as your pregnancy progresses.
- Changing how you move - rising or sitting down more gradually, avoiding sudden movement - may decrease the spasms.
- Talk with your health care provider first, and you will likely be advised regarding the use of acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce pain.
Follow-up for Round Ligament Pain
After you have been reassured that you are in sound general health, you should refrain from specific activities that trigger this pain.
- Lying on the opposite side and applying warm soaks early may alleviate the pain.
- Your health care provider should advise you about using the use of acetaminophen (Tylenol).
Prevention of Round Ligament Pain
Not every woman who is pregnant will experience round ligament pain.
- One thing is certain: When you are pregnant, you will experience changes in your body. The round ligaments which were thickened band-like structures prior to the pregnancy are now elongated and thinly stretched as they support the uterus.
- This change is caused by the release of progesterone and the enlargement of the fetus within the uterus.
- These changes, while natural, are unavoidable. As a result, there are no proven preventive exercises or remedies for this pain.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 12/21/2015
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Thomas Rebbecchi, MD, FAAEM
Must Read Articles Related to Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain
The onset of labor is the most anticipated event of pregnancy. Early signs of labor begin between 37 and 42 weeks after the last menstrual period. Symptoms of l...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Pregnancy, Round Ligament Pain: