Pregnancy Symptoms (cont.)
IN THIS ARTICLE
Melasma (Darkening of the Skin)
The "mask of pregnancy" refers to a darkening of the skin on the forehead, bridge of the nose, upper lip, or cheeks, usually on both sides of the face. Medically known as melasma or chloasma, this sign is more common in darker-skinned women than in those with lighter skin. Melasma can also occur in some conditions other than pregnancy, and is therefore not a specific symptom of pregnancy.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 2/14/2013
Must Read Articles Related to Pregnancy Symptoms
Pregnancy and Parenting Resources
- 10 Tips to Soothe a Crying Baby
- What to Know Before You Get Pregnant
- Pregnancy: What Does Insurance Cover?
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?