Primary Insomnia (cont.)
Primary Insomnia Self-Care at Home
The sleep hygiene recommendations that include environmental and lifestyle modifications include the following:
- Eliminate the use of caffeine, especially after noon.
- Do not use tobacco or alcohol near bedtime.
- Avoid heavy meals close to bedtime.
- Exercise early in the day before dinner to alleviate stress, but do not exercise before bedtime.
- Avoid daytime naps and establish a regular schedule for going to bed and getting up.
- Keep the bedroom at a comfortable temperature, and minimize distractions from light and noise.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 1/8/2015
Must Read Articles Related to Primary Insomnia
Disorders That Disrupt Sleep (Parasomnias)
Parasomnias are disruptive sleep-related disorders. They are characterized by undesirable physical or verbal behaviors or experiences. Parasomnias occur in asso...learn more >>
Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. Insomnia is actually a symptoms of a condition, disease, or situation. Non-medical treatment of in...learn more >>
Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that causes overwhelming and severe daytime sleepiness that often occurs at inappropriate times and places. The daytime sleep att...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Primary Insomnia: